Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    indigo--although it would seem like he might be a good candidate for acting, that has been a giant non-starter with DS. He and his sister like to write plays and record them, but when I tried to put him in an enrichment class (young elementary age) he had one of his very first "freak outs" and refused to ever go back because it was so noisy and chaotic that it upset (REALLY upset) him. One of the things his teacher was up in arms about this year is that he "refused" to do the "movement breaks" (dancing/singing stuff" with the rest of the class. I don't think it was defiance as much as freak-out, though.

I don't think he is conceptualizing the summer job as play-acting. He is really seeing himself as a young man with a job, and the shirt/tie is a status symbol.

Really the only things I can think of that do *totally* freak him out are related to noisy environments, natural disasters, alarms, stinging insects, and public humiliation.

Re: writing. Nobody has ever said this is a problem for him, academically, and I think he does okay when it's in class (and he is on stimulant med). At the end of the year, though, there was an asinine "cursive essay" he had to write and it was painful to watch him stare down that paper for literal hours. He can't write in cursive with any sort of ease--it was torturous. (And they don't even teach kids cursive any more, so wasn't sure of the point.) I have noticed his writing doesn't come close to his conversational ability--it's stilted, repetitive, and immature.

I wouldn't dream of making him write over the summer. I realize this is probably not mainstream but I will not actually "force" him to do anything, ever. I use more of a when you do X, then you may Y, and don't allow electronics if he does not comply (really the only thing that influences him). We have a pretty close relationship and once I've explained something to him (and its importance), I can usually gain cooperation. I have a lot of trouble understanding the importance of a lot of things, myself, so this is probably informing my approach.

I sure would like it if the NP would call me back... smile

I
    I
    Agreed. Introducing these concepts does not mean to imply "forcing." smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM