Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    His passivity is not IMO a personality quirk but part of the neurologically atypical stuff.

We have trouble with:
    --initiation (hard to start)

--not seeing the steps that lead to success clearly (being able to think ahead/organize/anticipate)

--not being able to organize the steps (much much easier to do what's comfortable than learn unfamiliar steps; worse in situations that have high stakes)

These are all EF issues very common to people who have ASD or ADHD.

Yes, yes, and yes. All of the above. One of the trickiest parts of this is that it might as well be a case of the blind leading the blind. I have done ALL of my learning without knowing how to do these things--and choosing subject areas in which sudden bursts of intellectual energy were effective. Good thing, too, because that was the only tool I had. It has greatly limited my career success. I hated teaching because of the heavy organizational load and never feeling like I had it together--this despite getting a lot of feedback about being quite talented at working with the children. I learn like my son: through obsession and osmosis. It is hard to teach a skill one does not posses herself. Like my son, I do much better when I am not required to multitask.

I would try not to dwell on the long term future (and its possible specters). Rather, I like a 3-5 year planning horizon.

This made me LOL. I think (hope?) that I am not quite as catastrophic a thinker as I appear to be when I write. I will say this: there is no doubt that much of my panicky thinking is driven by my eldest son's situation (mental illness). And *he* was quite an exceptional student all the way through high school, who required no support at home--self-motivated and driven. Clearly, this is something that needs to be worked on with my own therapist.

Look at the next few years, and decide what skills are missing that are needed within that horizon. Pick one, work on that. Let the rest be easy until that's mastered. Then pick another.

Our process is to decide what behavior we want to see, support that behavior so he knows what it's supposed to look like, and then gradually fade the support.

Here is the pickle: my gut feeling is that if DS could just get a handle on the social behaviors, the rest of it would not be so difficult. For one, I think the teachers expect gifted students to be a bit flaky, organizationally. Secondly, I think they would be more tolerant and supportive of the EF stuff if they liked him. That was certainly the case in elementary school. The reason I say it's a pickle is because the most off-putting behaviors seem to only occur in the context of the classroom, when he is with his peers. Of course, I do correct him at home when he is blunt and insensitive--but it doesn't happen as often here, and I am far less likely to take offense. Not sure how to help him generalize "perspective taking."

Yep. We cannot (still, age 12) say "clean your room." We have to break it into sub-tasks. (Pick up laundry and put it in the basket; all books back on shelves.) By teaching and reinforcing the sub-tasks you can work toward independence in a manageable way, with fewer freakouts.
    This is how we do room-cleaning here, too. When I have the gumption. A lot of our home life involves my doing everything, just because there is so much to do and I don't have time to do it right. A DS "freakout" is nearly always withdrawal and avoidance. He doesn't melt down often--he goes internal, scowls, and ignores.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Some may say that a focus on remediation is, at age 12, a more solid plan than establishing requirements for future supports and accommodations for his career and marriage. smile
    Okay, this has me rolling! You are arguing against an arranged marriage? hee hee

I like your ideas about doing some journaling type things re: being law clerk. I think for him it would be best to let him use photos and Presi type things. I can't imagine his being willing to essay about it--although he might, if I offered to type. He does NOT like expository writing one bit (but does enjoy creative writing) and the main objective in this "internship" is for him to experience some success in the presence of adults who really enjoy his company. That, and I can't wait to see him in his little lawyer outfit: he is very excited about a white button-down and a red tie. It was his first response to the proposal. smile

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Combined with anxiety, this can easily create an "I would prefer not to" situation.
    Yeah, we have anxiety in spades around here and I agree that is a huge component of it. I think when DS has to do something he doesn't enjoy and feels like drudgery, he becomes overwhelmed with anxiety. When he loves what he is doing, he is kind of a "jump and the net will appear" kind of person in his approach. It works with his personal projects but not with homework.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    The difficulty level is not the issue; organization and amount of busywork is.
    Ultimately, this was the deciding factor when I chose not to bail out of his program. ALL of the problems he was having were problems he will have at any middle school and were not related to the material being too difficult. He may have been somewhat stressed by having to (finally) learn something at school, and that may have been a piece of the puzzle. It was not the biggest one. He told me that he could not bear to go back to "regular school" because this was the first time he wasn't bored in class. I had some trouble with his getting poor grades--but have realized that is my issue. It is probably better to get Bs and Cs while actually learning than to skate through with As because it requires effort. I admit, though, I would prefer the As. His goal for next year is to improve to As and Bs and if he can get himself together, that is certainly possible.

B
    B
    Dh has 3 brothers and 2 parents and I think every single one of them has ADHD to some extent. First time I went to Dh's house, there was a motorcycle parked in the living room. All of them are extremely passive and laid back. The parents obviously care about their kids but have a very hands off approach, with "happieness" being the goal. Let's just say that of the 4 kids, one of them was living with them til he was practically 30. The other 3 got married young to wives who took control and whipped them into shape to the degree that that is possible. The one who lived there til almost 30? The wife was there too for the first few months of their marriage, and now they are in their mid-thirties, would like to start a family, but cannot because they are in low wage jobs. BIL was in college for years but kept flunking or dropping classes and finally dropped out. He tried again recently, same thing happened, apparently. He doesn't stick with anything. So in his case, the hands-off laid back approach did not work. He never got his act together. He has a gifted level IQ, was a national merit scholar (or semi-finalisit?), and never got a degree.

Also....right now your DS is at an age where you can force him to do things, but in another few years that may not necessarily be possible. So I would start now. I wouldn't go over the top and make him miserable or stressed, but find some balance. We are dealing with the same thing. DD really wants to keep taking piano lessons but the practice is like pulling teeth. She wants to be in an advanced math group but then doesn't want to do the homework. Same with DS. I don't want to be "pushy" but don't want them to to turn into sloppy, lazy adults either.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    All of the above. One of the trickiest parts of this is that it might as well be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Well, yes. Apples, trees. If the kid had organized parents, he would probably be an organizing type. We are the same-- we organize what we must and many things slide.

However, you have learned some coping skills over the years that put you ahead of him regardless of the genetic inheritance. In a given situation (especially when you are about to do something for him) I like to ask myself-- what would it be useful for him to learn here? And then figure out and teach that useful thing.

It is increasingly important to my sanity that all family members be responsible for their own deals. We must all grow up. Even if it is gradual.

I would try not to dwell on the long term future (and its possible specters). Rather, I like a 3-5 year planning horizon.

This made me LOL. I think (hope?) that I am not quite as catastrophic a thinker as I appear to be when I write.

I was joking. Because most of us parents of kids like your DS have that precise image in their heads.

But I'm also serious about the time horizon. This stuff gets done if you work on it. Truly.

I will say this: there is no doubt that much of my panicky thinking is driven by my eldest son's situation (mental illness). And *he* was quite an exceptional student all the way through high school, who required no support at home--self-motivated and driven. Clearly, this is something that needs to be worked on with my own therapist.

I am so glad you have therapeutic help in place, because this level of worry and care does wear a parent down. Good for you.

Here is the pickle: my gut feeling is that if DS could just get a handle on the social behaviors, the rest of it would not be so difficult. For one, I think the teachers expect gifted students to be a bit flaky, organizationally. Secondly, I think they would be more tolerant and supportive of the EF stuff if they liked him. That was certainly the case in elementary school. The reason I say it's a pickle is because the most off-putting behaviors seem to only occur in the context of the classroom, when he is with his peers. Of course, I do correct him at home when he is blunt and insensitive--but it doesn't happen as often here, and I am far less likely to take offense. Not sure how to help him generalize "perspective taking."

I do a lot of explaining. "When you say X, I think Y, and I get upset. If you would please say it this way, I wouldn't get my feelings hurt." "When you said X, it made teacher Q angry because she thought B...."

Over time, this does seem to take. He doesn't have the x-ray vision, but he can learn through instruction and practice, with debriefing as needed.

I think it's not a pickle-- it's just that you have now set a priority for what to work on first. All good.

A lot of our home life involves my doing everything, just because there is so much to do and I don't have time to do it right. A DS "freakout" is nearly always withdrawal and avoidance. He doesn't melt down often--he goes internal, scowls, and ignores.

I would treat that the same way as an externalizing freakout, though. Scowling/ignoring/rudeness is disallowed (because disrespectful). You are allowed to feel however you feel on the inside, but on the outside, you have to respect the person who is giving the instructions and follow them (if the person is in a role that demands it-- parent, teacher-- or if safety or morals are at stake).

We are fairly insistent parents, of the "fake it till you make it" school. You do not have to enjoy cleaning your room, but you have to do it when asked, without overt disrespect... over time, as the skill is mastered and becomes less of a big deal, the disrespect goes away anyhow.

I
    I
    I like your ideas about doing some journaling type things re: being law clerk. I think for him it would be best to let him use photos and Presi type things. I can't imagine his being willing to essay about it--although he might, if I offered to type. He does NOT like expository writing one bit (but does enjoy creative writing) and the main objective in this "internship" is for him to experience some success in the presence of adults who really enjoy his company.
    Absolutely! The ideas of supporting him at home to build journaling/vocabulary/essay around this experience are to:
    - leverage something he likes and is interested in to strengthen reflection and written expression skills (not to make the work burdensome or drain the fun out of what he is interested in)
    - reflect on his internal experience of what he is interested in, about the internship
    - become aware of what triggers a change, if at some point he may appear to lose interest in the internship (for example: social dilemma, sense of things piling up, boredom with repetition, too much (or too little) structure)
    - if all goes well, have this positive experience to refer to, when he may, in future academic settings, be required to reflect and give written expression to his ideas and experiences.

I can't wait to see him in his little lawyer outfit: he is very excited about a white button-down and a red tie. It was his first response to the proposal. smile
    Possibly he may have a penchant for dressing the part... playing a part... trying new roles... acting... has he participated in theatre experiences? Or might he like to?

D
    D
    Myself, I would not force the writing during the summer if he hates to write. If social skills are priority 1, I'd put my focus there, with lots of practice opportunity, debriefings where relevant, and just generally conversation about what's going on in these new experiences.

If I tried any kind of journaling plan with my DS12, it would devolve into a great deal of aggravation for all parties.

If your DS is willing, then go for it. But if not, and it's not priority one at this point, pick your battles.

G
    G
    Myself, I would not force the writing during the summer if he hates to write. If social skills are priority 1, I'd put my focus there, with lots of practice opportunity, debriefings where relevant, and just generally conversation about what's going on in these new experiences.
    The writing process includes a lot of cognitive function before the pencil is set to paper. Address the language and social skills issues, as these are a lot of what I see you mentioning with regards to his writing skill. Get the language skills in place independent of writing, and then work to translate.

DS and I will be working on "writing" this summer, but no words will go onto the page. It will be through working on flexible thinking, clarifying meaning and sequencing of thoughts. We'll do this mostly with Story Cubes and reading together.

B
    B

If I tried any kind of journaling plan with my DS12, it would devolve into a great deal of aggravation for all parties.

If your DS is willing, then go for it. But if not, and it's not priority one at this point, pick your battles.
    We tried a writing class for my son last summer that didn't work out. He has similar writing problems as OP. We ended up requiring DS (15 at the time) to journal every day. He wasn't happy but I insisted. Rules were he needed to write at least a page. Could be about anything but writing the same lines over & over didn't count. I wasn't going to read it, no one was going to grade or evaluate it but he did need to SHOW it to me so I could see he was doing something. It did get easier with time but we did abandon it when schools started and I'm not sure how much it helped.

D
    D
    With a kid this age, it takes his buy-in, as well as a very clear understanding of what problems are to be worked on and how. We work on goals over the summer (we work on goals all the time, it feels like), but we try to make those goals harmonize with DS's projects and plans rather than making them an extra time commitment.

If writing is a problem area, I'd want to make sure it gets into the IEP as a priority during the school year (with lots of detail about what the present level of achievement is for different kinds of writing, and what skills are missing). Often taking family out of the equation of writing instruction helps.

I wouldn't attack writing while you are also prioritizing working on social perception, and while he's probably going to be working to accept new diagnostic information about himself. He will need some time to just be, and not to be pushed to remediate his deficits all at once. Nobody likes feeling like they are someone's project.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM