Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I like that "luddite-lite" - great taste, less filling comes to mind, but doesn't quite work...

My DH more than makes up for my lack of cell-phone. I'm pretty sure he plays games on his while driving home from work. aargh!

I discovered there's no need for cell phones or pay phones - i got in a car accident, and no fewer than 6 people called it in!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/30/08 09:23 PM.
    I gave in and got a cell phone when I sent DS7 to school, mostly to make DH feel better for my safety. I doubt we even use it once a month. It is handy to have when meeting a group of people in a place far from home...which we do a couple of times a year, maybe. I did use it a lot at the Summit this year to hook up with people from this very forum! So that was well worth the money to me.

My usual comment before I got the cell phone still holds true, though: "I'm a stay-at-home mom. Where exactly am I going that I need a cell phone?" Most days, it seems positively pointless to me.

I also think of something that Oprah said on her show a few years back: "Who is everybody talking to!?!" That's what I wonder, too.

I hear people narrating their lives as they walk through the store: "...and I'm going down the produce aisle. Oh, look. Carrots are on sale..." Shut up already! Are you talking to communicate or just talking to hear the sound of your own voice?

The other pet peeve of mine is people exercising together at the park but talking on the phone to someone else. Is that really necessary? Could we maybe live in the moment a bit more? Ugh.

The kids don't have a phone and won't for as long as I can avoid it.

oh, and I'm an autodidact about the Norse, so clearly, I'm a big fan! smile

Kriston
    K
    K
    Oh Kriston - I am right there with you on cell phones. I so rarely use mine. I got it after I got in a bike accident and had to walk 5 miles with my bike that had a flat tire, torn up legs, and a cracked rib.

DH and I like to predict which people are driving while on their cell phones based on the quality of their driving. When I'm working out or grocery shopping I have NO desire to be chatting. And I don't often answer my cell if I'm having a conversation with someone else.

YES! The driving thing makes me INSANE! eek mad crazy

I wish I could find a bumper sticker that says "Hang up and drive," except I really need to put it on the front of the car. By the time they're behind me, it's too late. It's the people in front of me who make me nuts!

Kriston
    When I was younger, I wished I could invent a device that would jam the radio of the car I was targeting and allow me to speak into a little mic. that would transmit what I said through their radio.......Can you imagine the fun?!?!??!?!?!

Better now, would be to be able to override their call and just start talking to them. grin

BTW:

AUSTIN WHERE ARE YOU.....WE ARE READY FOR OUR WORD OF THE DAY

DH and I often talk about wanting a device to jam people's cell phones--like the woman standing in the vestibule of the fancy restaurant yelling "WHAT! I can't hear you...WHAT!?!"

Lady, if you can't hear, HANG UP! Or at least stop yelling! mad

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Re: Cell Phones

Hello, My name is Questions, and I am a BlackBerry addict! I read books on it (saves my back not to be carrying print books around - Kriston, make sure you allow e-book rights when you're book gets published), I have games on it, internet access, music, camera, video, you name it... Bluetooth for the car or when walking the dog. Just to show once again the diversity of this forum, LOL!

ROFLMAO- to both of you!

Q
    Q

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This seems apropos:

Pandemonium

"Pand�monium" (American English "Pandemonium") stems from Greek words meaning "all" or "every", and meaning "little spirit" or "little angel", or, as Christians interpreted it, "little daemon", and later, "demon" (thus roughly translated as "All Demons"). It is the name invented by John Milton for the capital of Hell, "the High Capital, of Satan and his Peers", built by the fallen angels at the suggestion of Mammon at the end of Book I, Paradise Lost (1667). A comparison in meaning can be made with "pantheon", which refers to all of the gods. Book II begins with the debate among the demons in the council-chamber of Pand�monium. The demons built it in about an hour, but it far surpassed all human palaces or dwellings; it may have been small, though, since the demons are described as shrinking from their titanic size in order to fit in.

Last edited by Austin; 07/31/08 10:16 AM.
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM