Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I don't see why you couldn't. Others have. You could also edit your profile and list it under your homepage there.

The great thing about homeschool is you CAN admister the exact same standardized test the school uses to measure progress if you have a college degree.

Interestingly, DD8 was able to correctly choose the multiple choice answer for both multiple digit multiplication and long division on an achievement test awhile back.
    Later, when asked to work out similar problems with no answer choices, she couldn't get the correct answer because she hadn't been shown the process yet.
    She must have been able to estimate the correct answser and use process of elimination.

Yes, that's a strategy I discussed w/ DS. For ex: 34x12 ... look for an answer that as 8 in the ones place. I told him that later, the kids who know strategies will finish in time b/c they are not bogged down in doing the full calculation. So w/ a strong sense of place value, a kid could answer 34x12 in multiple choice unless the question is written such that all the answers have 8 in the ones place lol. But then you could estimate as well perhaps 30x10 and get in the ballpark.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    OH I'd love to look at your blog. What standardized test did you use?

My blog is here. I am not a great blogger, but I have written a little about how school works here.

I have used the California Achievement test. I like it because homeschooling moms are authorized by the test to give it. (So I can give it at home and it still meets the requirements of my state.) My sister has used it, and told me about it. I don't think that it is the best test out there, but it works for us. I used an out of level test for my oldest this year, and at least she didn't get a perfect score on any of the subtests. (She did score 99% on several of them though.)

We have not had a formal assesment done on any of our dds yet. Since we are planning to continue to homeschool, there doesn't seem to be any benefit. Maybe when they gets older it will be necessary, but for now we will just keep on trying to keep them learning. (Not as easy as it sounds. They knows so much, that it is easy for everything to just be review instead of real learning.)

Tracy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs