Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    One classroom with 60 kids sounds like a nightmare for almost any kid, but doubly so for any kid with special needs.

My super cynical thought it that it sounds like a training ground for the new "modern office" BS in which everyone has a tiny desk in a huge open room. Because, you know, being able to see and hear absolutely everyone else you work with increases "collaboration."

P
    P
    Originally Posted by coffee
    Are these changes based on the need to justify a greater student : teacher ratio or on actual new educational research/ideology? I have 2 daughters at school, my airy fairy, creative one would be a mess in that environment. She's doing extremely well academically but it's with a low key classroom environment, small class size and a seat close to the teacher. My other one, DD7, is very autonomous and independent but she hates other children repetitively interrupting her work.

I went to school in NZ - I lived in an average sized city and there were probably 15 children in my class in the early years. These changes make me feel old!

You must have gone to school in one of the low student teacher ratio drives. There was one 10 years ago but now they are sure teacher quality is more important so class sizes are going up. In the 70's when I went to school 35 was the designated class size. Ds8 had 18 in the first year of school but ds6 had 24 in the same class with the same teacher. ds8 now has 29. I would like the idea better if it was multi age and people could work at their own level but ds8 is in a year 4 class and they are combining with a y3/4 composite which isn't much help. The teacher ratio stays the same so it isn't that. I really think the teachers think (or are required to pretend to think) that it can be done differently this time and will be great.

And yes it is a lot like the open office concept where everyone has to try and do work the requires concentration and privacy in the equivalent of an airport departures lounge. My firm belief is that most people find it stressful to some level and a very few thrive on it. I used to want to strangle the woman who had loud private conversations while I was trying to check payment runs.

Last edited by puffin; 05/12/15 01:06 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm really hoping that it just takes forever to be implemented and she's older when it comes in.

I have to pick her up soon, I think I may have to schedule a meeting sooner than the 6 weeks based on her already being bored (a week in)

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    My kids are told they have to ask at least two classmates before asking the teacher if they didn't hear/don't understand.

Based on what DD has already said this week I'm pretty sure this rule will be coming into effect pretty soon. She just doesn't view other kids as her peers (good for playing with, not for learning off) so she is going to be a total PIA to the teacher. Anyway I'm hoping she'll pick up on the other kids behaviour on that and follow suit

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM