Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I think that all of us here are discriminating enough not to throw the baby out with the bath water on everything that Dweck and others say. Obviously, kids need to be encouraged the push their boundaries and take risks. Of course, effort SHOULD be encouraged via praise.

Perfectionism is a risk for our kids and I am open to all and any suggestions for managing it.

But basically there are upper limits to potential as JonLaw so succinctly stated.

Agreed 100%... in fact, the baby-bathwater analogy occurred to me more than once during this discussion. Sure, Ms. Dweck may be saying some ill-considered things in support of her views, but it's also worth noting that this is becoming something of an industry for her. Regardless, I think we can discount some of her weirder statements and still accept that her core message is something of relevance and value.

And yes, there is definitely an upper limit, but the problem is, we don't really have an effective way to measure that. Like the AFQT, IQ is an imperfect measure at best, and the continuum is so large, that except for obvious, extreme cases, the concept of hard limits isn't really one with a lot of practical application.

Here are some of the things that Dweck actually says:
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/217172.Carol_S_Dweck

“Genius is not enough; we need to get the job done.”
    ― Carol S. Dweck, Mindset: How You Can Fulfil Your Potential

“I believe ability can get you to the top,” says coach John Wooden, “but it takes character to keep you there.… It’s so easy to … begin thinking you can just ‘turn it on’ automatically, without proper preparation. It takes real character to keep working as hard or even harder once you’re there. When you read about an athlete or team that wins over and over and over, remind yourself, ‘More than ability, they have character.' ”
    ― Carol S. Dweck, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Can anyone actually provide a quote from Dweck along the lines that "anyone can do anything if they work hard enough". I don't think she's ever said that.

Originally Posted by Carol Dweck
    First and foremost, it must be made clear to students that their performance reflects their current skills and efforts, not their intelligence or worth. In this case, if students are disappointed in their performance, there is a clear and constructive implication: Work harder, avail yourself of more learning opportunities, learn how to study better, ask the teacher for more help, and so on.

That's a pretty clear statement about what I've been complaining about: poor performance is invariably a consequence of not working hard enough. Believe in yourself and study "better," and you will achieve! grin grin grin grin grin

And of course, if you fail, it's your fault for not working harder or better or whatever. It's certainly not my fault for leading you down the garden path.

In the discussion here, performance in school has TWO components: ability and effort. Dweck dismisses ability as something that you can increase if you just work hard enough, and that is a lie.

Last edited by Val; 04/10/15 10:06 AM. Reason: Clarity
    C
    C
    Well, working harder/smarter is is the only lever that students have. They can't go back to God and ask for a different brain

And if you work a little harder, you will likely do a little better (at least locally). (and sure, there is eventually a diminishing marginal return or even a negative return on each additional marginal unit of effort expended).

The Dweck powerpoint I read sometime back (sorry can't find the link) made clear her view that success is a function of both ability and effort.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I think that all of us here are discriminating enough not to throw the baby out with the bath water on everything that Dweck and others say. Obviously, kids need to be encouraged the push their boundaries and take risks. Of course, effort SHOULD be encouraged via praise.

Perfectionism is a risk for our kids and I am open to all and any suggestions for managing it.

But basically there are upper limits to potential as JonLaw so succinctly stated.

Agreed 100%... in fact, the baby-bathwater analogy occurred to me more than once during this discussion. Sure, Ms. Dweck may be saying some ill-considered things in support of her views, but it's also worth noting that this is becoming something of an industry for her. Regardless, I think we can discount some of her weirder statements and still accept that her core message is something of relevance and value.

And yes, there is definitely an upper limit, but the problem is, we don't really have an effective way to measure that. Like the AFQT, IQ is an imperfect measure at best, and the continuum is so large, that except for obvious, extreme cases, the concept of hard limits isn't really one with a lot of practical application.

WE can.

The problem, as has been noted up-thread, is that college campuses (and honors classes, and AP offerings, and, and and) are being filled up with a lot of students who have been, um--

conditioned--

by people who have made it their mission (with considerable zeal, in fact) to convince those students that YES! THEY! CAN!

When, in point of fact, a fair number of them really cannot.

On the other hand, they DO have numbers on their side, and also, much more importantly, MONEY to spend on the endeavor (fruitless though it might ultimately be).

Do colleges turn them away? Why, NO. No, they do not. What they do entertain is the notion of "making a place at the table" for everyone. Because everyone "can" do it, see...

crazy

This is, paradoxically, WEAKENING the expectations in all academic settings-- which in turn makes it even less likely that kids like those of forum members will escape the forces that drive perfectionism to start with (success which it far too easy, nobody ever telling them that some things are just HARD, etc).

I don't know. I think that this toxic madness is harder to see until you've had a child thoroughly "processed" through the system as it is now. Common Core's woefully implemented roll-out has only made things worse. Because NO, we can not actually make children at the 20th percentile all perform at the 70th percentile, no matter how much we might WISH that it were so... and throwing more and more resources at this, burying our entire educational system in more and more standards, becoming ever narrower in what is considered "normative"-- none of that does a gosh darned thing about the fact that some people aren't that capable. They just aren't.

NOT all people are "gifted." Not in the g-loaded sense of that word. All people are worthwhile as human beings. All people have uniqueness and have value. Yes.

Sometimes, your best isn't good enough-- even if really, really IS your best.

I think that Val and I are both saying that it is just plain CRUEL to take on a blame mindset about that and torture people whose best isn't good enough with "but--but-- if you just TRIED harder, and BELIEVED in yourself a bit more, see..."

Well, it doesn't work with disabilities, does it? You can't wish those into the cornfield, and some activities are simply g-loaded and not everyone CAN do them.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 04/10/15 10:20 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Well, working harder/smarter is is the only lever that students have. They can't go back to God and ask for a different brain.

Dweck claims that if you work harder, you get smarter:

Originally Posted by Dweck's website
    When students and educators have a growth mindset, they understand that intelligence can be developed. Students focus on improvement instead of worrying about how smart they are. They work hard to learn more and get smarter.

and from that same page:

...the other half received training in the growth mindset (how the brain grows with learning to make you smarter)

This is pseudoscientific garbage.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Are children with profound mental retardation capable of "learning to read?"

Well, yes, probably SOME of them are, given enough of the idealizing inputs discussed. But not all of them, and it may depend on your standards-- is this at the level of a 3rd grader? A sixth grader?

Can they simply "grow" into this task if they really, really want to, and we all "encourage" them enough?

I'd argue that the answer is "no." That's not to say that life ought to be filled with people saying "Nope, not for you."

Having spent some time around profoundly (and severely) retarded kids, I'd have to disagree that even some of them can learn to read. They can't even talk (though some can learn some sign language). Our school system is very generous with them, and they may get aides in a classroom or, for those who can't go to school, get visits from aides who help them develop motor skills and so on. The experiences are enriching for them, but they don't learn learn reading skills. Certainly, some moderately retarded children may learn to read a little and write a few words.

I'm only pointing this out because it highlights the reality of ability limits. People who work with severely intellectually disabled children don't generally pretend that these kids can make themselves smarter if they work hard. Maybe this is because they spend a lot of time working with these kids and they get to know what that condition really means.

Maybe I sound mean. I don't know. Personally, I think it's meaner to tell a student with a barely average or below-average IQ that he can become an engineer if he just believes in himself and works hard.

Our society encourages people to stretch themselves, which is a good thing. I just think that we've reached a point where the idea gets taken way, way too far, and it does a lot of damage.

Just a small comment on ID individuals learning to read:

Many moderately impaired individuals have the capacity to learn to decode and encode, if taught explicitly. The real difficulty is comprehension. I know a not insignificant number of adolescents and adults with IQs in the intellectually disabled-moderately impaired range who can read and/or write fluently at what we consider an average adult level with regard to basic skills (and I'm not speculating about either the cognitive level or the academic level, as I did the evals myself)--but their comprehension, especially inferential comprehension, is limited by their cognition. This manifests in writing as simplistic ideas, poor or simple organization, and less complex sentence structures.

The severely impaired children I've seen usually can learn some environmental print, and sometimes primary-level reading and writing (<2nd grade).

Beyond that level of impairment, they're often working on skills like joint attention, and reliably activating switches.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I'm pretty sure that in her zeal to encourage people to keep learning and growing, she's stretching the truth by assigning intent where there may be none and exaggerating small samples to big populations (where exactly are all these people she repeatedly refers to who do nothing else but sit around saying/proving how smart they are? In my 20+ years in business plus time spent at a top-tier business school, I can only recall a small handful I'd describe as remotely like that, and in those cases, I would ascribe it to them just being jerks.)

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    This is such a fascinating discussion.

I definitely see how a person could develop a point of view where their perspective is "if something is hard, that means I can't do it because I'm not smart / talented / creative / whatever enough and failure is TERRIBLE... so better not try" and that this point of view is fundamentally unhelpful. A person could also develop a point of view that has a perspective like "effort is good, failure is a part of learning, I can get better by trying" and that this is a more useful way of approaching challenge.

People are not the same but everyone has challenges and the way we handle those challenges (whether it's learning to dress yourself or learning calculus) is important. And the way we communicate to kids has a huge impact on the perspectives and opinions they develop.

Now as for Dweck, her book is in the pop-psychology / self-help genre that necessarily oversimplifies and is more about the soundbite and the slogan rather than any thoughtful nuanced analysis. It's also going to be targeted primarily to the middle of the intelligence curve -- where most of her audience is.

For high LOG kids, the problem is somewhat different -- getting them challenged in the first place so that you can then demonstrate to them what learning (effort, failure, continued effort, improvement) really looks like. Replacing intellectual challenge with work volume in order to demonstrate the importance of effort completely backfires (the reward for all that work? you still didn't learn anything!).

The ideas in the book have been directly helpful for us in dealing with DD (we consciously shifted to praising effort and embracing failure). But these same good ideas can absolutely be misused by a school system -- and society -- more interested in pretending that everyone is the same than helping individuals reach their individual potentials.

Val Offline
    Okay, I'll stand corrected there. Thanks. smile

I suspect that this means that the kids I knew (50-ish) were mostly in the very-severe to profound range. As I mentioned, there was just no way those kids would have been able to learn to read.

Or, the condition itself had an effect that impaired the ability to read in spite of IQ around 40-ish (there were floor problems in testing).

M
    M
    Put me down as one in favor of the growth mindset.

I was constantly praised and valued for being smart as a child, to the point where my intelligence became my identity. My mother even refused grade skips for me to ensure that I would always be "the smartest kid in the class."

It wasn't until I entered law school that all of this began to backfire, as I found myself entirely unprepared to deal with real challenge. Consequently, I hit a wall, never practiced law or came anywhere close to meeting my potential. Instead, I've been stuck in middle management, bored and frustrated for years.

However, in the course of doing research on how to raise my exceptionally gifted son, I found Dweck and all the anti-praise research. Reading much of it literally brought tears to my eyes. It described my psychology so perfectly and predicted my outcome so accurately that it made me feel like a puppet.

Since then, I've not only changed the way I'm raising my son (praising effort, ensuring he has ample opportunity to experience and overcome the discomfort that accompanies challenge), but I've also completely changed my own outlook. A decade-plus out of law school, I recently passed the bar exam and am starting a new career. I feel more hopeful and optimistic than I have in years.

So, for me at least, Dweck's research has been very profound and powerful stuff.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM