Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    TNC #212602 03/13/15 02:34 PM
    Q
    Q
    I definitely would not approach your principal about homework in this case when you are planning on requesting another subject acceleration next year. You want to save your currency plus it is highly likely that very few of her classmates are struggling with homework. I may be wrong but I think a lot of kids, especially the GT ones are managing to complete large chunks of "homework" during the school day. That was the case with all three of my kids throughout elementary and they were all in the GT program. I have been told by a couple of teachers that mandatory and especially optional homework serve in part to keep the many kids occupied who finish "early". Generally kids who do not finish at least a little early may have an issue and end up with the full "homework" load. My oldest was in that camp, but he had dysgraphia so I did have the option of scribing certain homework or requesting modifications.

In your case, it seems simple enough to remove all the optional stuff and reduce time on some of the other assignments (i.e., reading, math games, etc.) while modifying the rest (i.e., scribing, scaffolding, etc.) By the way, your DD can always leave IXL on for the designated time without working a full 15 minutes especially if she is super ahead in math. In fact, if she works the full 15 minutes, it may look like she did way more - that was the problem with my younger DS especially. The homework can be cut down even more if you can convince your DD to do some of it at school.

Your DD has the disadvantage of skipping mid-year whereas the other kids had a 1/2 year to figure out how to handle homework. Also, consider that most first graders, especially GT ones, can write pretty quickly if not well; that's why K is so academic these days. If you make a fuss and force changes that are disagreeable to the other students/parents, it may have negative repercussions for your DD. You don't want her to get the reputation as the kid whose parents forced an acceleration but couldn't handle the work. If she is 2E, then that's different and you should pursue written accommodations instead. In my opinion, you are better off making modifications privately as your DD needs them.

TNC #212677 03/14/15 02:48 PM
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    You might find this of issue. In Australia there appears to be a growing consensus to follow the research, that homework in primary school is not necessarily a great idea. We our DD was in primary school there was a lot of ability to negotiate the homework load, especially when it was busy work for her.

Homework has come up a lot lately.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-...-parents-to-opt-out-20150314-1442q9.html

TNC #212678 03/14/15 03:33 PM
    M
    M
    I horrified by a 1st grader being expected to do any homework.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM