Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
    T
    T
    See, discouraged by you and choosing to load himself up with those things while you counsel moderation are signs of the not-hothouser.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Howler, go and read about some of those elite colleges and you'll be glad she didn't want to go. They can just be Lexington high school senior.
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Also, remember that the grading system at the schools you listed is deliberately soft to encourage exploration and experimentation. There isn't the same pressure for GPA management as in high schools.
    Quite a divergence of opinion about the elite colleges, but in a way you are both right.

My nephew recently graduated from Yale. His words were "It is hard to get an A, but much harder to get a C." If we extend that to the rest of the Ivies, then anyone admitted can get by with moderate effort, but excelling there takes real effort.

My experience is that MIT is in a different category, as just about everyone has to put in real effort.

U
    U
    I guess my point is that you can't really tell which highly scheduled child is which from the outside, unless you know the parents well. I still cringe when I admit my first grader has a private chess coach...to me, that sounds NUTS.

Regarding college, I attended a relatively prestigious "lefty" liberal arts school with a reputation for attracting kids who are outside the box. There was no grade-grubbing there and the kids were genuinely smart, weird, and motivated (with some burn-outs and drug users, admittedly). It was a very stark contrast from my uptight, grade-obsessed, very wealthy public high school. It is everything I want for my children, especially child #1, who is quirkier (child #2 is more a class president type), but who knows what will happen.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    My nephew recently graduated from Yale. His words were "It is hard to get an A, but much harder to get a C." If we extend that to the rest of the Ivies, then anyone admitted can get by with moderate effort, but excelling there takes real effort.
    I wonder about that: A’s Have Been Harvard’s Most Common Grade for 20 Years.

T
    T
    Yale may not be as easy as Harvard, but it does have the book/article about the excellent sheep. Or was that Princeton?

Totally agree that MIT is is a class of its own wrt real rigor.

I
    I
    Regarding hothousing, other observable factors may include a parental focus on competition, with decreased emphasis on ethics, character, and well-being.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    Good comment Indigo!

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    Dude, these are good points. I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

I
    I
    Adding a link to new thread created by madeinuk, I am a hot housing helicopter parent?

H
    H
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    My experience is that MIT is in a different category, as just about everyone has to put in real effort.

As an MIT alum, I will second that! I cross-registered and took a class at Harvard once--easiest class I ever took. wink

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM