Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My 2e/pg ds wants to enroll in an online high school program. He's being un/homeschooled and has taken a bunch of MOOCs so far, which he has enjoyed. Yesterday, though, ds announced that he wants/like to have a hs diploma. He wants that piece of paper to prove to others and to make it easier to apply to colleges and universities.

MOOCs, however, do not grant a high school diploma. At the moment, I've also got no clue on: 1) how many MOOCs would possibly add up to a year or semester work of towards the equivalent of a high school course or college course; 2) whether any online high school programs would accept MOOCs for homeschool transfer credit; 3) any college or university would accept the MOOCs on their own and as part of a homeschool transcript.

Before anyone jumps in on community colleges and state colleges/universities, I've tried and tried with that one. Ds is under the magic age of 14 and thus keep getting the door slammed in my face.

I've heard mixed reviews on U. of Missouri's MU Online program here, but wondering about U. of Nebraska's High School or Indiana U High School? Any suggestions or help here? I'm already going nuts trying to figure out how any previous homeschool learning could be transferred or given credit. I don't know what counts for what.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Also noticed that University of Nebraska has a dual enrollment option through their Omaha (http://dualenroll.unomaha.edu/courses.php). Anyone familiar with it or have any suggestions or help here? Thanks.

Stanford has an online program, too.

Another possible option would be to look at which cybercharters operate in your region-- that has the advantage of being both fully accredited and free.

You'd just have to convince them that your DS can MORE than manage an overload for credit recovery purposes.

That might even be a means of getting AP courses onto a transcript, which would be helpful in terms of college admission.

As far as I know, most colleges and universities don't really consider MOOC participation or completion as anything but an extracurricular-- like chess or piano, for example, or maybe robotics.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In MA, Connections Academy has a free public virtual charter:

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/massachusetts-virtual-school/home.aspx

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    I'm with HK... public online charters could be a useful solution.

There are a number of them that are tied to major franchises (Connections, K12) but if you find one that's home grown with multiple curriculum options you might get more flexibility from them. DD just started on that has an option for 'test for credit' -- you pass the final, you get the high school credit. Make sure you understand and negotiate terms before you start.

I
    I
    1) how many MOOCs would possibly add up to a year or semester work of towards the equivalent of a high school course or college course
    It is my understanding (and I may be wrong), that a high school or college course is typically about 150 hours (ranging from 120-180).
    2) whether any online high school programs would accept MOOCs for homeschool transfer credit
    It is my understanding that if it is part of your homeschool high school transcript they typically would.
    3) any college or university would accept the MOOCs on their own and as part of a homeschool transcript.
    It is my understanding that they would accept this for high school credit if it is in your homeschool high school transcript.

I found this recent thread encouraging: MIT study shows MOOCs on par with in-person class, and your previous post about MIT & MOOCs was encouraging as well.

These articles from the Davidson Database may be of interest: Tips for parents: Creating effective transcripts, and Tips for parents: Taking charge of your child's education.

You may also wish to check your local high school graduation requirements, and help your son plan that his transcripts contain equivalent learning experiences (or better) as compared with that number of English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, PE, and electives.

Because you mentioned 2e, I'll add that Magination Press (American Psychological Association) has a few Children's books about transitioning through adolescence into college with an LD.

CLEP and AP exams are another way that your DS could do without a transcript-- though given your original post, it sounds as though your son prefers to have a diploma.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks. That gives me food for though.

I've heard mixed reviews locally from non-gifted parents about the virtual online charter schools in MA that's why I started to look at alternative options. These non-gifted parents didn't speak highly of them or using them. I know people here, though, have had success with them.

We live in MA and doing anything through our local public school district can be difficult beyond what they're legally obligated to do (such as testing for special needs or academic achievement per parental request). In MA, homeschoolers are on their own for high school graduation requirements, as far as I know. We - as homeschooling parents - can create transcripts for colleges/universities but are not required to have a diploma per se to apply. Local public high schools here have the discretionary power to consider homeschoolers as completing a high school diploma but are under NO legal obligation to do so (http://www.ahem.info/DiplomasGED.html). Our local public school district is very unlikely to work with us at all here.

CLEP, AP exams are options, but also required a certain level of maturity and ability that might not be doable at this point in time with ds and the 2e issues. Eventually, perhaps. I've been avoiding doing any timed, standardized tests for the last year plus for a number of reasons.

I'm also trying to emphasize to ds that he doesn't actually need a diploma. Yes, he might want one. I get it. But he technically doesn't need one. In some ways, doors may open with one. However, I'm mixed about the loop holes involved at this point to get one, not to mention the energy and effort and $$$ on my part. MIT, Harvard, Simon's Rock, and et al accept homeschool applicants without a high school diploma. MIT, for instance, claims not to have separate requirements for homeschooled applications (http://mitadmissions.org/apply/prepare/homeschool).

I looked at Stanford Online High School. First, it's too much $ and a lengthy application process. Second, it's traditionally structured and sequential. Third, the pace. It's not self-paced. Fourth, there's a restricted admission process. It's not open enrollment where you can apply at any time.

I've written this elsewhere, but MOOCs are still relatively new and untested territory. They are being used as a recruitment tool by MIT and others to weed out who's actually motivated and interested in doing in-depth work in a particular subject. That's not why ds is doing MOOCs at the moment.

At the moment, ds is doing MOOCs because: 1) they're free, 2), offer him a chance to go in depth into something like astrobiology which isn't normally covered in a standard high school science sequence, 3) gives flexibility (there's a wide choice of MOOCs and variation in how they're delivered and the content of them), 4) way to test the waters with subjects but also teaching/instructional styles and delivery without much pressure, 5) interact to a degree with other students, 6) MOOCs are often short and snappy and offer some structure but not overly.

For those who have done the public high school programs or other online programs, here are some questions that I have:
    1) Are the courses fairly standard and sequential?
    2) Can you self-pace and rapidly accelerate?
    2) How do they assess students? Are there numerous tests and papers, for instance, or 2-3 tests and a paper?
    3) Do students interact with these online programs like they would with a MOOC? I realize that may be an unfair question because the range of students and interactions with MOOCs can vary widely and it's more limited than with a bricks-and-mortar school. However, generally speaking, it seems like you take the course with Connections or U Missouri's high school and that's it.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Indigo too!

Education is in the midst of undergoing a revolution. MOOCs are a part of it, but many people and places still think in terms of the traditional high school core curriculum. The tried and trued route is easier to assess than the out-of-the-box, self-motivated curriculum that ds prefers and often insists doing.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    For those who have done the public high school programs or other online programs, here are some questions that I have:

We are just starting with a new online school, but our experience may be particularly relevant because DD just got off of two years of home/unschooling herself. Her school offers a mix of curriculums and she's in Florida Virtual. So please take those answers in that light.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. At her school it's also possible to test out of work altogether.
    2a. After an initial placement assessment, there are multiple graded assignments, module tests, and projects/papers. But this would be highly school dependent. At her school they go a bit beyond the boxed curriculum. She also has a ongoing individual project as part of her homeroom -- student directed research into a topic.
    3. I have no experience with MOOCs and therefore can't speak informatively to that. At her school the interaction includes: visits from her homeroom teacher, working with individual teachers for each class remotely, and working through the computer course-ware.

I have to say, from our perspective just starting with this program, the learning curve is steep, but not academically. DD is learning valuable lessons in: dealing with deadlines, executive function skills, test taking skills, note taking and study skills, being graded, and so on. This is really tough for DD, since she's so out of practice with all of that. Yet, I think it's really valuable because all those skills are going to be needed in college.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM