Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    FOZ, do you know which version of the test he took (2-5 v. 6+)?

Is he feeling challenged in school? Does your school provide an average RIT and range for the GT math class he is in? How does his teacher feel that he fits into class? You certainly don't need to answer all of the questions here, but the answers will probably give you an indication as to whether you need to have more discussions with his school about placement.

I do not think that the MAP test is meaningless at all, but I would use it in combination with this other data, to better understand whether he currently has a good placement. Depending on his school, you may still find that his scores are very, very high.

F
    FOZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks all. I am pretty sure he took the 2-5 test. School does not provide a RIT for the class but I believe there are kids in his program with similar scores. I get the feeling most/some those kids are in outside of school tutoring and other programs. His score is with no enrichment other than reading math books on his own, and zero acceleration at school prior to this year. Mostly I was wondering if these scores are really that high and what if anything to do about it.

Our school system has a single above grade level math path and that is what he is on. The math is moving much faster this year in the GT program so he is happy about that, although he would enjoy more of a challenge if it was available.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM