Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    F
    FOZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    My son is in a GT program, 4th grade. He is scoring in the high 250s on the MAP-M with only a half year acceleration (all that is available even at GT). End of third grade was similar score.

I read on another thread that ideally kids should be taught at the 90% score for a grade, so this would be 8th grade if I am interpreting correctly. How much stock should we be putting in these scores? He also scored very well on the SCAT math test 97% percent for two grades up while in second grade.

L
    L
    I have a 4th grader in the same range - no acceleration, just G&T program. She is bored in math this year and says it is very easy.

Is he still taking the 2-5 test, or have they moved him to the 6+? DD is still taking the 2-5 test, because her school will not move them until they are in 6th grade, no matter what the score is. She felt like the last time she took the test, "it felt like the test was running out of questions," which sounds odd, but some of the literature about the test would suggest that students in this score range should be moved to the 6+ test.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    With a score in the 250s your son is likely ready for algebra. My son was very successful with Algebra I in 5th grade after similar MAP scores in 4th grade.

N
    N
    I think the older the kids get the MAP scores mean less. My daughter scores were slightly less in 4th and stayed exactly the same through the three MAP testings. Previous poster mentioned Algebra 1 but I think that means something different in each case. My daughters in 7th grade now, in a GT program and takes Geometry. Typically that's a 10th grade class at the high school.

F
    F
    We are in the same school district as Nicoledad and actually got somewhere at the district level on this. My son is in 3rd grade with math MAP in the mid 240's (2 sub tests in the mid 250's). They are looking into switching him to the 6 plus test next fall. That being said, I don't think that will change his math class until he is in the program nicoledad speaks of. He is in accelerated math and will be plus 1 after 4th grade (5th grade math completed) and in algebra the latest by 7th grade but ready for it now,

L
    L
    Wow, nicoledad and frannieandjsmom! It sounds like your schools aren't suffering from a "Common Core" slowdown, which is great! Our schools have seemed to outlaw acceleration until 7th grade, which has been incredibly frustrating. Any tips on advocating with MAP test scores? Like OP, we have other data to back up these scores (they just give MAP often).

B
    B
    I'd agree that the MAP scores especially the comparative RIT charts can sometimes inflate the grade level equivalent. In our district where a 250 on the MAP score in fifth grade is used to determine entry to Algebra I in sixth, the cohort has had a mixed record the next year. There are some kids who are ready (and in fact often are learning Algebra outside school) in fourth and fifth grades. Others struggle in class. All of which to say I think there are better algebra readiness assessments out there if that's the question you need answered.

N
    N
    I can only speak from our end since my daughters four years older.She got tested and got into the district wide gifted program in third grade. Only 7 out of possibly 100 kids ( there are 22 k-6 schools) got in and probably 1500 overall in her grade in the district. The difference now is that the k-6 schools have more kids involved in in-school gifted services than they did when my daughter was younger. I don't know if MAP testing will help make a case for you. Frannie may be a better judge. I do know that now the kids with higher MAP scores don't necessarily get the better grades. In our district there aren't letter grades till 4th grade and I think that can makes things more difficult. in regards to common core I do think it has an effect in our district but in our daughters case she's beyond the point it matters. I believe there are some isolated cases of kids taking algebra in 5th grade but typically only 6th grade magnet (gifted) kids take it our district. other people on the forum may know about other test scores because we didn't have to do anything to get into the program

L
    L
    Thanks, nicoledad! Heck, I'm not even trying to get her into algebra...I just want her to feel like she is learning something new in math class. She "shouldn't" even be scoring as high as she has been, because she hasn't, quite frankly, had the exposure!

We USED to have accelerated math start in 4th, which was what we were excited for this year...but it was cut under Common Core changes in our schools. frown

OP, does your school have good options for math acceleration?

F
    FOZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    OP here. We also used to have more acceleration opportunities before Common Core rolled out. All that exists now is half year acceleration in 4th and 5th which leads to Algebra in 7th grade. This then gets you to Calculus in 11th.

L
    L
    FOZ, do you know which version of the test he took (2-5 v. 6+)?

Is he feeling challenged in school? Does your school provide an average RIT and range for the GT math class he is in? How does his teacher feel that he fits into class? You certainly don't need to answer all of the questions here, but the answers will probably give you an indication as to whether you need to have more discussions with his school about placement.

I do not think that the MAP test is meaningless at all, but I would use it in combination with this other data, to better understand whether he currently has a good placement. Depending on his school, you may still find that his scores are very, very high.

F
    FOZ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks all. I am pretty sure he took the 2-5 test. School does not provide a RIT for the class but I believe there are kids in his program with similar scores. I get the feeling most/some those kids are in outside of school tutoring and other programs. His score is with no enrichment other than reading math books on his own, and zero acceleration at school prior to this year. Mostly I was wondering if these scores are really that high and what if anything to do about it.

Our school system has a single above grade level math path and that is what he is on. The math is moving much faster this year in the GT program so he is happy about that, although he would enjoy more of a challenge if it was available.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM