Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    Congratulations! It's so nice to read about acceleration going smoothly.
    What's AIG exactly? Accelerated instruction something? How does an AIG plan work, as compared to a GIEP, for instance?

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    "Wonderful TripleB! Your family are all having what sounds like a very positive school experience. I couldn't be happier for you all. From your son's reaction it sounds as though all will not only be well but were more needed than you had imagined. Three cheers to a school that identifies need and responds appropriately. Best wishes for the new semester."

We are...we have been so blessed by the educators my son has had over the past three years...they have worked so hard to challenge him. Thank you!

Funny story...yesterday before the meeting I looked at a released form of the 3rd grade end of grade Math test and just shook my head because I knew my son wouldn't be able to do but probably 25% of the material on there (practicing reading a lot but never Math)...even told my wife that right before we went into the meeting. Come to find out they had given my son the same exact test and he made 80% on it---completely shocked me.

I appreciate the wishes and all the help!!!

"Congratulations! It's so nice to read about acceleration going smoothly. What's AIG exactly? Accelerated instruction something? How does an AIG plan work, as compared to a GIEP, for instance?Wonderful TripleB! "

Thank you.

AIG stands for 'Academically or Intellectually Gifted'.

I'm not familiar with GIEP but an AIG plan is put in place to make sure gifted children receive the services and differentiation they need.

Specific items can also be written into the plan to allow students to participate in extra curricular activities, even though they aren't old enough...like on my son's, since he is interested in Science and Music they are going to write in his AIG plan that he be allowed (if he chooses) to participate in the Robotics Team, Science Olympiad, and the afterschool Music Program - even though he's not old enough to compete in some of the competitions due to age he can still work with the team and go watch the competitions.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and help---all is much appreciated!!!

TripleB

P
    P
    Sounds cool. But am I right that the IQ test was done by a teacher? Proper IQ tests are done by phychologists at least. In this case it doesn't matter but you may need to redo it if you move or when you change schools.

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Sounds cool. But am I right that the IQ test was done by a teacher? Proper IQ tests are done by phychologists at least. In this case it doesn't matter but you may need to redo it if you move or when you change schools.

Thanks!

Yes, the InView IQ Test in our county is given in a classroom setting by a teacher. I believe this is to save money for our public school system...I'm thinking there are probably somewhere between 900 and 1000 3rd graders (and at least 1 second grader) who take the test each year.

I remember when I had mine growing up it was given to me on a one on one basis and had several 'tasks' for me to complete.

But in this case it worked out well. We requested he be tested, even though he was in second grade, he was tested, which threw up red flags and have gotten him the differentiation he needs.

TripleB

TripleB - Excellent news! And a bonus that your son is excited too. Sounds like a great team at the school. Very nice that he will be able to participate in the cool programs too, despite his age. Sounds like a school that "gets" gifted.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM