Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #20733 07/20/08 06:06 PM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I posted this on a different thread in response to Kriston's question about a couple programs I had heard of. In this camp season, I thought others might know of some good resources you might recommend for kids. We can keep these in mind as we plan for the year(s) ahead.

Originally Posted By: Kriston
    Wow! I love those ideas, acs! I'd love to get more info about those programs you mention! They are exactly the sorts of things I'd love to give to DS7 as options to delay early college for us. Would you PM me if you're not comfortable sharing the details publically? I'd be grateful.

Here are a couple that some of my friend's kids have done. I have heard good things.

http://www.wolfjourney.com/youthcamps/resindex.html

http://www.historicalseaport.org/web/education.html

acs #20757 07/21/08 02:12 AM
    Great thread idea!
    I am interested in resources and ideas for a child who is gt, but primarily interested in art, at least for now. I know this forum focuses on more academic areas, but I imagine many other gt kids love to express themselves through the arts...
    We live near enough to a big city to make it into the museums 3 or 4 times a year.
    This was one we checked out a year ago and intend to try again:
    http://www.asia.si.edu/events/ImaginAsia.asp

chris1234 #20808 07/21/08 04:46 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    My son, then 11, loved this camp last year: http://www.cottonwoodgulch.org/ Kids came from all over the country to attend and explore the wilderness, learn about ecology, archaeology, geology. He wants to go back next year to the next expedition.

chris1234 #20819 07/21/08 06:33 PM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Chris, I live a very long way from Washington DC, but whenever I go I always spend time at the Sackler and Freer. They are my favorite of the Smithsonian museums. When we were there last August, my sister and I appreciated that they were not the least bit crowded (a great break from the jam packed Air and Space and Natural History).

cym #20820 07/21/08 06:39 PM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cym,

This looks like it would be right up DS's alley. I like that the camps get more challenging as the kids age. I can see the real benefits of sending kids, especially teens, to a camp where they can gain skills that make them feel more competent and independent. Learning how to live in the wilderness is one way to create that sense of self-efficacy. Plus it is a great way to teach natural history, archaeology etc in an out-of-classroom context.

acs #20829 07/22/08 03:12 AM
    Yes, the Freer is one of the best *least crowded* of the museums, and the metro station is right in front of it. We also love the collection at the National Portrait Gallery, there are some magnificent portraits of our founding fathers, etc., for your history buffs. We have been in on Saturdays and just walked in on kids' craft programs which have been really fun/free.
    Also, I just noticed this, which is pretty funny:
    http://www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/colbert.htm

Last but not least, ds8 loves the National Gallery's outdoor sculpture garden. It is a great place to explore and flop around on the grass after a day of walking.
    For those who don't know it, all the Smithsonian museums are free to enter.

chris1234 #24183 08/27/08 08:53 PM
    This past summer my kids have attended:

AwesomeMath
    http://www.awesomemath.org/summer.shtml

CITY
    http://www.du.edu/city/programs/summer-programs/index.html

Will write about the experience soon.

Ania #24482 08/30/08 04:26 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    The University of Denver CITY (Center for Innovative and Talented Youth) is part of the national talent search network. My son (DS10) went to their DISCOVERY program (for talented 4th-6th graders), a one-week, residential institute at the University. He took a course (Geometry & Puzzles) and lived in the dorms. He loved it and wants to go to the two week session next summer--FRONTIER is for 6th-8th graders. They also have the 3 wk long PIONEER program for 8th-10th graders. I was glad to have him be able to attend a shorter institute, because of his age, since all the Johns Hopkins ones are 3 wks long.

DS12 and DS13 attended 3 wk-long Johns Hopkins CTY summer programs at different campuses. They both absolutely loved their experiences. Only DS13 had ever done a program like that before, but this one had enormous diversity of students--JHU seems to have a stronger scholarship draw. They both want to do another institute somewhere next summer, but will select it based on the course, whether it's through CITY, Duke, JHU CTY, etc.

cym #24490 08/30/08 06:08 PM
    DS6 did Camp Invention this summer and loved it:
    http://www.invent.org/camp/default.aspx

Chess camp was also a great experience for him...

Jool #24513 08/31/08 06:21 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Jool, DS7 did the USA Chess and loved it (hopefully it'll come back to our town next summer)--I think he'll try Camp Invention next summer. My other kids have done it and enjoyed it, but it conflicted this summer so DS couldn't do it.

cym #24516 08/31/08 06:39 AM
    Q
    Q
    DS8 also did Camp Invention and loved it.

cym #24547 08/31/08 05:33 PM
    Awesome math looks really cool - don't forget to write something about it, Ania!

smile

cym #26792 09/25/08 12:16 PM
    Sorry about my late response wink

DD11 attended CITY's Discovery program - same as Cym's DS, we even got to meet each other!
    It was a one week residential program (Sunday through Saturday) for 4-6 graders. Due to other summer plans she was not able to attend the program for 6-8 graders, but it turned out that majority of the kids she met there were actually incoming 6th graders. They had four hours of instructions a day, two before lunch and two after, no homework other than some occasional reading.
    Her class was Ancient Idols - Heroes and Myths.
    She really loved the program, loved the food , loved her dorm advisor and all the friends that she has met there. She is e-mailing them actively and already making plans for next year. Even more than that, she became close friends with a girl that also would like to become a vet and the two of them are already making college plans, LOL.

My son has attended a similar program at the same location two years ago. One observation that I can make is that two years ago most of the instructors were either college professors or G/T teachers. This year most of the faculty consisted of college students or new grads. No comment which one is better, just an observation.
    The cost for the program was about $1000. Pretty typical I would say for a one week residential experience. Most of the kids were local, either from Denver or very close to it.

As for AwesomeMath - I would be glad to e-mail you privately if you are interested. I do not want this info to be out in the open to easily identify my kiddo smile

Ania #26804 09/25/08 01:27 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Ania, Are you considering MathPath 2009? It's in Colorado Springs this summer. My DS won't be quite old enough, but he wants to go back to CITY anyway--we'll see.

cym #26805 09/25/08 01:31 PM
    Wow, that certainly would be nice, cost wise smile
    Any research/opinions comparing MathPath with AwesomeMath?

Ania #26929 09/26/08 04:42 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    According to the MathPath website, application fee is $20. $4500 for 4 wks, $2500 for younger kids that stay just 2 wks.

Has anyone done ASA (Academic Study Associates)summer programs? They have programs at several prominent universities and international immersion.

How about Junior Statesmen Summer School (JSA)? They have programs at several universities, too.

cym #27025 09/27/08 07:27 PM
    MathPath is for ages 11-14
    AwesomeMath goes all the way through HS.

I am not familiar with any of the above mentioned by Cym.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM