Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    So I'm starting this thread because I want to apologize that I may have given a few parents wrong advice about junior high math placement for their children this past spring/summer. And alert others on this board to the CC changes. I did not know enough details about the changes in Junior High math pathways in Common Core. I've found out about this because it's become a mess in my own district and I've gotten involved in trying to fix. I'm not advocating for Common Core but it's a reality that's it's being implemented in our public schools.

Part of the problem is in the "naming" of courses. The BIG change in junior high math is that PRIOR to Common Core my state (and many others) had goal of getting MOST 8th grade students through Algebra I. Therefore Algebra I in 7th grade was an acceleration for the brightest kids. In my district previously the only "grade 8" class was a remedial course, and most 8th graders took Algebra I or higher.

The difference is Common Core changes the "definition" of what units are covered in an Algebra I course and pushes "basic" Algebra I into a badly named class "Grade 8 Common Core". Grade 8 Common Core includes factoring, and solving two equations with two unknowns, as well as the first few chapters of Geometry. Algebra I assumes you know those topics, and include materials previously in Algebra II, Geometry includes topics that were in Algebra II, and Algebra II includes topics that were in Pre-Calc.

How does this affect gifted kids? You probably don't want your child to "skip" Common Core Grade 8 class unless they already have a grounding in basic Algebra. They might want to be enrolled in this course as a 6th or 7tg grader. They might want a compacted 7/8th/Algebra I course. Geometry is much less likely to be offered in junior high than it used to be. If you are a parents who's students are about to go through junior high you might not want to compare the classes your child is in against those of "older" kids that went through the system even a few years ago. And if your child is moving from homeschooling, taking an online class, or a private school you might want to make sure your child's courses line up to this curriculum. Schools and districts are still grappling with this issues and if you have a junior high kid now you might be caught in this mess.

Last edited by bluemagic; 11/12/14 02:50 PM.
    Z
    Z
    Also, worth noting that the sequence and content varies between states. North Carolina has Math 1, Math 2, Math 3 which replaces Algebra 1,Geometry, Algebra 2 with some topic re-ordering. Also, individual schools can implement gifted programs and curriculum differently (NC has a mandate for implementation of CCSS to specifically address the needs of AIG students.) The state suggests one way of doing this by using a 4:3 compacting; so, grades 6-8 cover the 6-9 material (or core 6th-8th and Math I.)

B
    OP Offline
    B
    In CA districts have always been able to choice a "Integrated" math path or a more traditional one. In my state, different districts are allowed to choose either path, Math 1, Math 2, Math 2, or Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II.

My state at this point just makes several options of how to meet the needs of gifted math students, the document I'm getting this off seems to have been drafted in MA. Compaction below 7th grade is discouraged. 3:2 compaction is one of the suggestions at either then compacting 7th-9th and or compacting 9th-11th into two years.

Also of note Common Core math does NOT spiral they way the old system did. Therefore what my son did was skip 4th grade math (since 5th grade math wasn't that different) isn't really an acceptable option for school districts to implement for their gifted classes.

C
    C
    About ready to navigate the middle school math mess next year.

G
    G
    My understanding of the MS/HS CC math sequence is similar to yours, bluemagic. It really does help to understand the standards and how they've changed before flying off the handle about changed sequences!

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    They might want a compacted 7/8th/Algebra I course.
    My DD went through CCM 7 and 8 and is now in Algebra I. The pacing is deathly slow, and while they keep telling us that this Algebra I course is Really Advanced and incorporates concepts that I would have learned in Algebra II, I am so far Not Impressed. I have distinct memories of hurriedly solving quadratic equations on Halloween before going out ToTing. DD is expected to see these in March. I see no AlgII topics in her scope and sequence document, with the exception of maybe using matrix algebra to solve systems of linear equations.

Now the compacted sequence is another story at least in my district. 7/8/Alg I is being offered now as a 2 year class (introduced after DD had completed CCM7). As common core is cast as being something that goes deeper into each topic and does not spiral, the teachers are having each kid to every lesson and every problem in the courses, teaching themselves an extra lesson each weekend, and doing several over each school break. I'm currently in discussion with the district about how to alter this so that it is more appropriate to gifted kids instead of just driven kids. As it stands, DS8 will not be taking that compacted sequence next year despite qualifying for it because he will not be able to retain his love of math in that environment.

I think the basic upshot is that it's going to take schools a few years to see what teaching these standards looks like in the classroom for their students. I predict we'll start seeing more pathways through MS and HS math as the schools develop and adapt their curricula.

M
    M
    How will this work out for a kid who will be through Alg I, Geometry, Alg II before going to High School?

K
    K
    This explains so much.

I will add that in our state--at the least our county--kids were not taught algebra 1 in 8th. In fact, they were lucky to get adequate prealgebra instruction. This has put some of our kids in a difficult position.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    How will this work out for a kid who will be through Alg I, Geometry, Alg II before going to High School?

My DD10 will have precalculus in 9th, Calculus BC in 10th in HS. Statistics in 11th and Independent study for Math (Math for business and economics and ?) in 12th. 11th and 12th at the community college as dual credit courses or early college admission. Or at least that's what I answered to the counselor who tried to discourage her from accelerating to Algebra I in 6th. laugh

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    Not sure. Common Core only defines what will happen through Algebra 2. What I would do is check with the High School they will be planing on attending about their plans are for pre-calculus & AP Calculus, and when they are implementing common core. They may not be able to give you an answer as it's still a work in progress in many areas. My local district implemented common core in junior high, and these changes will follow these students into H.S. In other words common core will only be implemented for freshman Algebra 1 next year.

C
    C
    I feel like current 8th graders will be the experiment. We moved from VA to CA when oldest DD was starting 6th grade. Our CA school district (small and among highest rated in state) did not implement common core for her grade level at all in 6th...it finally started implementing CC 6, 7,8 when she was in 7th so her grade was still on 'old system', i.e. they didn't have CC 7 or CC* ready for her class, so the kids kept forward on the old track...so, she had algebra in 7th...changed schools for 8th and is currently in geometry there. It's clear that the private schools in my area definitely discourage the 'push ahead' in math, and most are teaching Alg 1 over grades 7-8. However...when I have conversations with friends in VA, there seems to be NO change in math there. Still algebra as the standard for majority of 8th graders. If anything, I am hearing about more specialization for mathy kids - Alg. II in public school for 8th graders! Note, VA is not a common core state. I hate to be so skeptical of CC, but...I could write a book on how easy my daughter will say middle school is at what is considered a strong CA public school vs. her elementary public school in VA. And she's not profoundly gifted, just your average smart kid!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations