Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Cola #205235 11/08/14 05:53 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We saw his teacher at a school carnival last night. Idid not mention the aADHD diagnosis but instead stated we would like him evaluated for possible dysgraphia by the school occupational therapist. First she says she's not familiar with dysgraphia but that there is no therapist on the school grounds as it has never been warranted. Then she makes a comment to our ds saying he needs to stop fighting her when she's only trying to do what's best for him. I secretly couldn't help but snicker at her comment and want to high five my son for "questioning" her. In fact, he "fights" her on the necessity of showing his work when he's clearly gotten the answer right in his head (going back to my dysgraphia concern) or why he has to read rats of NiMH quietly when he's already read it and there is no lesson to be learned by a rat in a war. I'm probably just as childish for giving him kudos for that statement lol.

Last edited by Cola; 11/08/14 05:54 PM.
    Cola #205251 11/09/14 05:16 PM
    B
    B
    I would tell them you want him evaluated for disorder of written expression and motor issues related to writing. They have to include that in a comprehensive eval if there are concerns. I hope she is wrong and there is actually an OT who can test him for writing issues. One of our special ed directors didn't even know what dysgraphia was when I was talking about it last year--it's really pathetic. And then if they do know, they will tell you that they are not a neuropsychologist and they can't diagnose anything. So stick with your specific concerns about how his academics are being impacted. They sound about as clueless as the school I was dealing with last year.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And to follow-up on blackcat: sometimes it helps to use the terminology that the school may recognize, such as "specific learning disability in written expression", or "physically impaired/fine motor", or get a DSM diagnosis and use "other health impaired".

Many schools instruct their staff not to make Dxs. That doesn't mean they can't either accept other professionals' Dxs, or make disability determinations based on the IDEIA classifications.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM