Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    U
    What I would love to see is more intramural sports at the H.S. level. We have some of this, I've heard of lunchtime doge-ball & basketball tournaments. But they are informal & parents don't necessary hear about it if a child isn't involved. All of the larger pubic university's in my area have extensive intramural sports for their students. These are informal groups of students, who play low stakes games mostly for the fun & exercise.

I so agree with this! Only I'd love to see it earlier than HS. I'd like to see more sports "clubs" whose point is exercise and fun. I have one child who is not athletic and has never wanted to play "real" sports, but would play pickup games for fun. There is nothing for her.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    university in nz is relatively cheap and student loans are easy to get (an arts degree isn't much more than $20000, although a medical degree is $100k plus)most doing top flight degrees do a stint overseas to gain experience and earn more to pain off their student loans before returning home. Aussie is the same pretty much.
    Sports stars can get school scholarships, but so can gifted kids. At college level as far as I'm aware there isn't anything -the focus is on academia not sports.
    Players come up through provincial teams and I guess universities have nothing to do with selection.

Just a quick check of the scholarships page for NZ unis shows no sporting scholarships other than for support staff ie: coaches and physios'and most are no more than $5000.00 total. There aren't any free rides unless you have extreme hardship and even then I don't think so

Just following up on this - the All Blacks who are our top rated players are paid in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per season, excluding a couple of long term top players who have negotiated 1.5 m or so. Some are able to supplement this well with sponsorship deals.

Compare this with Steven Adams who on his first year with a US basketball team earned $2m + you can see why there are no free rides over here.

We simply don't have the population to support astronomical sporting salaries and if I'm being honest we probably as a culture wouldn't support it either, a tall poppy is a tall poppy in NZ be it sporting or academic, in fact despite the distinct lack of glory I believe most kiwis would be happier for an intellectually employed person (engineer etc) was earning the higher amount, just my perception.

P
    P
    It is a major difference. There is a lot of sport at primary and high school but when you get to university it is pretty low key. There are university teams but unless you play you wouldn't know. Most sports players here don't have higher education all though as I said many rugby players did before it became professional. I would like all schools to reflect the university values . We had a free gym and heaps of clubs but we knew we were there to learn not play. Please note that although I went to school in the seventies I went to university in the nineties so my experiences don't match that well.

Last edited by puffin; 11/04/14 12:25 PM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by puffin
    It is a major difference. There is a lot of sport at primary and high school but when you get to university it is pretty low key. There are university teams but unless you play you wouldn't know. Most sports players here don't have higher education all though as I said many rugby players did before it became professional. I would like all schooltheorumivetheorW values from umiversity. We had a free gym and heaps of clubs but we knew we were there to learn not play. Please note that although I went to school in the seventies I went to university in the nineties so my experiences don't match that well.
    Outside the big three sports (football, basketball & baseball) this is true in the U.S. for college athletes as well. Most "traditional" universities have quite varied and sometimes extensive sports programs that no one outside their sports knows about. Many don't have football programs partly because they are very expensive. (Of the 10 UC campuses only 2 have football teams.) There are huge number of college athletes that get no scholarships, and very little is noticed about their sport outside family/friends except for the few elite around the Olympics.

Last edited by bluemagic; 11/04/14 12:31 PM.
    B
    B
    U.N.C. Investigation Reveals Athletes Took Fake Classes

I am not opposed in principle to selective schools considering athletic ability in admissions, as long as all admitted students can do and are expected to do the academic work. But it has not worked that way at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and I'm sure many other schools. U.N.C. is actually a prestigious public university in the U.S.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM