Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Trinity writes:
    "the prize is for the children who learn to enjoy the struggle of learning"

I love it !!! That is what it all comes to!
    Ania

L
    L
    Trinity,

Thanks so much for all your sage comments and advise.

This topic of giftedness stirs a lot of anxiety within me. With knowledge comes a great deal of responsibility to take action. And action takes a great deal of time, effort, heartache, frustration, labor, financial resources, and courage. However as loving parents, isn't it true that we will do anything for our child even if it means opening up Pandora's box and facing whatever lurks inside? I do know in my heart it's vital that our family finds out for sure so as to educate ourselves in finding the best way to approach our DD's learning needs.

You asked if she would have been capable of handling an upper grade in Calvert. I think so because everything I taught her she would absorb immediately. I mentioned to some (not many at all because I always feel others think I'm bragging) how easy it was for me to teach because of how quickly she learns. Her only problem is staying focused in her least favorite subject (writing). I've mentioned before how she finds it very difficult. The pencil can't seem to keep up with her brain and imagination. And when she tries to write her thoughts cannot seem to flow on paper as well as they do verbally. So reverting back to your question, Trinity I think she could keep up in a higher Calvert grade level but not in writing, yet I can't say for sure because I haven't taken that approach. Oh and by the way I mentioned to her if she would like to spend more time learning to type as you suggested. She agreed to it after some grunting remarks about how boring and repetitive her computer class is at school. Thanks for the idea!

I have another question for you (ok maybe two or three) do gifted children excell in every subject? Is there anything that doesn't come easy? Do they have superior memories all of the time? All right I'll head over to the library tomorrow and get those books you listed. If you have some of those answers I'd love your input.

Thanks everybody!!!

Hi Lovemybaby,
    These are excellent questions.

Here's a phrase I think you will like: Asynchronous Development. It's a way of seeing giftedness as a special educational need. A child's development doesn't follow the normal course. It's advanced in some areas and and normal in other areas. A child's strength areas can be seen as a disavantage because when given age-appropriate academic material, the child isn't stimulated to learn the age-appropriate academic skills, such as organisation, studying, time management, and "learning to enjoy the struggle of learning."

I like the Asynchronous Development idea because it fits so well with current American Culture - "I'm a victim. I need help! I have a problem, can you help me solve it?" It feels safer than the mental definition of Gifted I grew up with. I think it's only one side of the coin.

I've developed this Asynchronous Development idea into a perspective of my own. When I look at a gifted child to try to figure out what they need, I mentally organize their abilities into three main areas, listing as many details as I can, seeking to fill in the details more fully in the future. Here goes -

Knowledge - Overall how much does this child know? How does it compare to children older or younger than her? Are there specific areas of tremendously advanced knowledge? What are they?

Skills - If you just saw them do a particulat skill, of hat "age" would they seem typial? Typing, Handwriting, Math facts and procedures, reading level, negotiating teasing and sharing, cooking, using silverware, playing an instrument are some of the "I can do it/I'm still practicing" things in life that may or may not be advanced.

Thinking - These are the little stories of how a child's mind seems to understand things without being taught. How they might leap head of other children in their understanding with a bit of teaching and information. How they ask questions about the meaning of life that most children of their age ask at a much later age. The creativity they use to connect ideas and ask more questions. Has the children hit age-assigned milestones early. How does the child react to the conversation of children who are older?

So Lovemybaby, that's the "big picture" of how to look at a child and figure out - Do they need a full, or multiple, or single subject grade skip? Will they need an individualized homeschool program with writing at age level, but other things years ahead? Should you look for afterschool activities with agemates, older kids, or a mix?

It's a lot of information, but there isn't any rush to fill in the blanks, and you already know a lot about your daughter. You have so much at your fingertips already. And of course, the answers are always changing - when she learns to type you may see that she isn't Asynchronous at all - she may become very typical of a child one or five years older, in many many respects.

LOL - DS10 and I were having a joke last night, about a pill, that if you took it, you magically became "all one age" physically, hormonally, as well as mentally. Like he'd wake up tommorow having forgoted several vocabulary words and his voice having dropped an octave! We had the idea that the pill would somehow "take the average" of one's ages and "even things out." We got a pretty good laught out of that one, and decided not to rush things.

((big smile and hug))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets