Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    I am going to go under the assumption that her writing issues are analytical writing rather than handwriting. (It can get very confusing, I find a lot of people confuse the two.) I disagree with your husband. I think if she is struggling with this task now, you should look into it and talk with the teacher and address the issue sooner than later.

My DS15 has just been diagnosed with written language expressive problems and anxiety when writing. He will completely freeze and write NOTHING for an essay. This is a HUGE problem in High School. We didn't really notice anything till 6th grade and in hindsight this was one of the big issues then. He was an early reader and still reads years grades above grade level. He does well on the tests on the books but will write nothing for the essays, and well writing is 60% of the grade. This is somewhat anxiety and somewhat not enough time and somewhat apathy at this point. He often just doesn't have opinions because he thinks the whole question is just stupid.

So my advice is to look into this now and don't wait until she gets older. Your daughter probably doesn't have the same situation as my son but as I've found on this board is not unusual for gifted kids reading level and expressive writing level to be out of sync. Analyzing is a book is a very different skill than re-telling and answering questions about the plot.

As to what your daughter teacher said: "In high ability classrooms, we don’t just work on a vertical jump in reading, but focusing on reading at a deeper level. So, while we might be reading a novel that is a little lower than our current reading level, we are working on discussing and questioning at a higher, deeper level" This sounds totally reasonable to me. My older daughter had a Language Processing LD and really struggled with both reading & writing so I have worked with this issue before. (I just never saw it in my son because when he writes so much better than her when he has an opinion.) One thing I learned from the people who were helping my daughter is that when working on critical analysis and writing they it is best to not be simultaneously working on stretching their reading skills. They want the reading to be comfortable. The problem is having the reading level comfortable and interesting to talk about.

While I can imagine your daughter is probably bored at taking 6 weeks to read a Time Warp Trio book. It may not be the wrong reading level for teaching this task. They are a harder reading level than Magic Tree House books. I will always have a soft spot for this series as we have a connection to one of the illustrators for the series but I'm not sure these books are the best for this task. The gifted son my class was in 4th-6th had a reading assignment that I quickly realized couldn't be done with a lot of the more "popular" early readers. Because a lot of those books aren't really good literature with complex plot structure and character growth. We found it best to chose books of the Newbery medal list. I can't imagine analyzing a Time Warp Trio book like it was The Grapes of Wrath. Perhaps you should ask the teacher why she choose this particular book?

Last edited by bluemagic; 10/03/14 05:56 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Minx
    Reading and writing are going to become more and more intertwined as your child progresses in school. Although they may seem like two totally unrelated skills, they are, in fact closely integrated throughout many subjects in school. Not just language arts, but science, social studies, etc - students are asked to listen to lectures, watch videos, read books/etc and then relate what they understand and what they've learned through writing. If your dd has a relative weakness in written expression this is a *really* good time in her school career to be working on it - and that might mean focusing on text that is easier than she is capable of reading in order to simplify the writing process to the level she's working at. Throwing her into an advanced reading group where she can't keep up with the writing isn't going to help develop her writing skills.

I completely agree with what polarbear has said here. DS8 has to write sentences about his MATH problems. It's no longer acceptable to just solve the problem; the child must also explain WHY their answer is reasonable or correct.

If she's got handwriting issues or difficulties with grammar and writing, now is the perfect time to get that help she needs.

Which is a bit silly because there are well established mathmatical protocols for explaining how and why you did something. They don't include writing sentence and paragraphs.

Originally Posted by puffin
    Which is a bit silly because there are well established mathmatical protocols for explaining how and why you did something. They don't include writing sentence and paragraphs.

Preaching to the choir, my friend. DS8 had a test problem last year that amounted to "Which of the following numbers is an even number and why?"

DS:
    "14, because it is an even number."

The "correct" answer:
    "14, because the four in the ones place is an even number."

You can't even make up this stuff. I had to ask why the correct answer was acceptable but his was not, and it was all about knowing that four was an even number.

We're mathy peeps and DS does it in his head, so it is particularly annoying to him to have to write a sentence explaining stuff he just knows. Also annoying: timed math facts; deadly slow processing speed (21%) makes that a whole other nightmare. Thank heavens this year's teacher doesn't do that!

U
    U
    ITA with polarbear.

I finally looked up what "ITA" means. ITA also with polarbear. Polarbear - what awesome, sensible advice!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM