Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #202455 10/01/14 06:14 AM
    T
    thx1138 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I have 2 gifted children. Is it possible to just find a tutor to manage their entire education? That is, rather than spend $27,500 x 2 on private school, just put that money towards a salary for a personal tutor.

There may be some complications, of certification, or home schooling regulations. But I have to believe they can be surmounted and may be no more problematic than other solutions.

It may not be easy to find the right person, but I would think this would be an interesting and desirable job for the right teacher. We’re talking about a 2:1 ratio here, which seems beneficial for student, teacher, and parent alike. I suppose though the teacher might also have to be gifted, particularly for higher grades, and need to span from literature to math to science.

I am okay with home schooling, but find it hard to wear both parent and teacher hat. And like home school, with tutor, we may need to go outside for socializing and for science labs.

Anyone else doing this, or think it could work?

Last edited by thx1138; 10/09/14 12:31 PM.
    I know there are people who do this. But, I think it is state dependent. Some states allow for this option, and I believe it is widely exercised in the states that allow it. But some states, do not allow it. So, you'll have to do some research.

I've also heard of a few families going in together and splitting the cost of a tutor(s) and letting it run like a school, but it is technically homeschooling.

I would approach this exactly like a homeschooling situation with regard to local laws and regulations. One or both parents usually end up being the instructor in such situations, but there's nothing saying that they have to be. Homeschool co-ops are common,for example.

Homeschooling generally does not require any certification of the parent or other teachers, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think finding the right candidate would be your biggest challenge.

Originally Posted by Portia
    Our state rules you cannot hire a tutor full time like that. The parent is responsible for the education. That being said, "enrichment" from any source is allowed. Enter co-ops, subject tutors, groups, and classes.

I wonder how film companies get around this, or whether they avoid your state altogether, because full-time, on-set tutoring is how they fulfill the educational needs of child actors, per union contract and child labor laws.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by thx1138
    Is it possible to just find a tutor to manage their entire education? That is, rather than spend $27,550 x 2 on private school, just put that money towards a salary for a personal tutor.
    This education budget eclipses our entire family budget. But if you have those kinds of funds available, I don't think hiring 1 person to do everything would be optimal. But there are plenty of online or live classes, with a live tutor to give personal attention. You can do it on a per subject, per year basis.

Last edited by 22B; 10/01/14 08:24 AM.
    I *think* that child actors belong to a school, but the teacher just comes to the student. I think I've heard that before, but I really could be wrong here. This is just what I think I've heard.

Originally Posted by Mom2Two
    I *think* that child actors belong to a school, but the teacher just comes to the student. I think I've heard that before, but I really could be wrong here. This is just what I think I've heard.

Yeah, that makes sense.

S
    S
    We did something similar to this last year when we home schooled, but didn't use just one teacher. We hired a certified teacher as my son's language arts instructor, and another teacher for math. The LA teacher came 2x week, and he met with the math teacher every week. The rest of the classes were online classes. The cost wasn't anything close to what you're suggesting.

It sounds like thx1138 is thinking about someone to take over the full-time management of the homeschooling, not just tutor for an hour here or there.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    It sounds like thx1138 is thinking about someone to take over the full-time management of the homeschooling, not just tutor for an hour here or there.
    And people are advising against this in favor of outsourcing on a per course basis.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM