Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #1606 01/11/07 08:38 AM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am posting this as a new topic as suggested.
    Do you have any experience with an IB Diploma? This is a program for the HS years, as opposite to their elementary and middle school years. I would like to hear from the parents or educators who are currently involved or are seriously considering.
    Please elaborate.
    Ania

Ania #1608 01/11/07 10:22 AM
    C
    C
    I found this thread of discussion of IB vs AP on The Princeton Review site. As you can see, each program has its supporters. The fact is that few people have experinces on both side to give an objective comparasion.

A couple of years ago I was in your position of deciding whether to send kids to a school with IB or a school with AP. I posted the same question on some discussion board and get 0 reply. Hopefully you have better luck.

http://discuss.princetonreview.com/tm.asp?m=7060837&mpage=1&key=&#7061667

S
    S
    I am now 35, and did the IB program in high school. I remember it VERY positively. The teachers all worked together, so lessons were integrated; there was a lot of leeway for pursuing your own topics; there was an independent research project that I had a great time with; there were community service hours required that were fascinating. I have never felt so challenged - even in college. Going through that program was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Susan - does your HS stoll offer IB? Is it considered to be one of the best programs in the area?
    I am asking, because in SLC West High has been offering this program for close to twenty years now and it is supposed to be superior to other IB programs in the area just becasue of the fact that they have been doing it for such a long time. Apparently it takes quite a while for the teachers to become really good IB instructors. What do you think? Did you had a better chance at geeting into a good college because of your IB Diploma, did it even matter? Were your classmates more engaging than other HS students?
    Ania

Ania #1653 01/19/07 02:17 PM
    S
    S
    I remember a lot of my classmates were disillusioned when they got to the college app process - said they had thought an IB diploma would guarantee them admittance to any college, and that wasn't the case. But even with all the griping, I think everyone with the diploma did get into their first choice school. The HS DOES still offer IB, but the district is struggling - the neighborhoods that feed into it have changed dramatically, becoming mostly made up of families in a lower socioeconomic status. Also, I think most folks don't really understand what IB is...and also realize that it really isn't for most kids! To pursue the full diploma, you really need a VERY bright kid - it is very challenging.

I think our program was fairly new when I did it - within 5 years or so - but I thought it was great. And yes, my classmates in this program were wonderful - it was really valid to care about learning things just because they were interesting. I feel very lucky to have had this experience.

Of course, I don't know if this can be extrapolated to other programs and people!

C
    C
    interesting article on this topic. May help or confuse you a bit more.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/nation/16566155.htm

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM