Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Dottie #20124 07/14/08 01:09 PM
    I'm not sure either Dottie! LOL. I saw mention of a 3rd grade Explore but never saw anywhere online on how/where/who used it. So it's part of the talent searches. So if a 3rd grader took it, it's an out-of-level test?

Dottie #20125 07/14/08 01:11 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Our district now gives EXPLORE to all 9th grade students and 8th graders from Title 1 schools (half the middle schools in town). I asked the gifted department head if somehow gifted kids could test with the middle or high schoolers when offered, 'cause it would beat driving 6 hrs & staying in a hotel overnight. Haven't heard back yet. Plus it could give all gifted kids in the district an opportunity and boost participation from our state in Talent Search...

Dottie #20155 07/14/08 05:22 PM
    OOOOOOOHHHHHH said the blind man, now I see.

That's why the scores increased as the grade level increased for DYS application.

Thanks Dottie!

This is what I miss when I disappear for two days! LOL

DS took the Explore for the first time at 7y4m, and was not overwhelmed, although he was SLOW.... That brought his scores way down. On the other hand, he sped up quite a bit in the following year, and had some ridiculous gains between 7 and 8! He'll be nine in time for next year's test and I ~think~ we'll do it again, although there's a chance I'll sign him up for an ACT instead... We'll do a trial run through the ACT practice test first and see where he falls. He still has speed issues, so a much longer test might not be the best thing... but on the other hand he doesn't really have any stamina issues and his ~content~ knowledge is rather higher than the ceiling of the Explore, and it would be nice to let him have the chance to extend himself that way... And the ACT can send you the question-by-question breakdowns, so I could get more specific information than the Explore gives... Although the practice tests are just old tests themselves, so I could truly get all I really needed out of that, AND see where things were time issues vs. content issues.... but the ACT is cheaper... but the Explore has award possibilities... but the ACT results come faster... but he's only going to be nine and he's TINY... but... but... but...... :D)

ANYWAY! Short answer is if your kid can sit that long (about 2 1/2 hours with the paperwork stuff, and I think there's a bathroom break between sections) and won't be crushed by not getting everything right, and knows how to fill in all those little bubbles (I did go over that with DS... LOL), I'd go ahead and do it.

Erica
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs