Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    I like the system of incentives approach - especially when it involves longer term planning and the DC's ability to choose to go after a particular prize. We have sometimes given stickers for completing something, and he goes to a very low-key (and wonderful!) karate class that gives "stripes" (pieces of colored duct tape) after each session. The karate teacher is so terrific that I think he could get away with giving high fives and the kids would respond. But the idea of working towards something you choose seems really good.

One feature of our Suzuki Cello class that is entering the decision is that it is, by comparison with some of the others described, rather time consuming. It involves a private lesson and a group lesson every week, plus an additional Dalcroze class every week. Three different sessions every week plus daily practice. Seems like a lot.

K
    K
    We use 2 sticker charts. Something amazing earns a short term sticker. A finished practice earns a long term sticker. He can earn 7-10 short term stickers for a 20 minute session of computer. When he gets to 100 long term stickers there is some bigger incentive. He has gotten to pick out a restaurant for us to go to (one that coincidentally has vintage computer games) and has gotten Pokemon cards.

I wonder if he'd like a Webkinz? I bet both DS7 and DD4 would. DD4 never had any interest in the computer (compared to her brother anyway who was begging to play at 2). The last month all of a sudden she can and will try to play almost anything her brother is doing.

K
    K
    Oh my goodness BaseballDad, 3 classes a week for cello? Ouch! Is that the only program available locally? Our strings are 2 most weeks and that is sounding a bit painful.

I'm guessing our weekend group attendance if we do strings with DD4 may be spotty. It's not like we're going to stop going out of town. In particular if we are homeschooling.

OP Offline
    Dumb question alert, Dumb question alert!

Webkinz?

BB

OP Offline
    Hereby appreciating Kimck's appropriate astonishment at 3 cello classes per week. It seems crazy to me too. The thing is, there are other places to take string instrument lessons in the area. But this is the most convenient, the one we've been taking Dalcroze classes at for 2 years, and also the one with the best teachers. And if there's any lesson I feel I've learned in the last couple of years, it is that a good teacher, who has a good rapport with your kids, is priceless. I go to DS4's karate class as often as possible just to watch the instructor. He is a master. I'm talking about mixed-age classes full of kids between the ages of 2 and 14 - sometimes as many as 25 of them! - and he somehow manages to take them all seriously, to motivate them, to keep them in line, to be warm and humble but also appropriately stern when necessary, and to teach them great life lessons in a fun atmosphere that all the kids love. I couldn't give a wit about karate per se, but I think it's worth it for DS (and for me!) to be influenced by this teacher. I can't say the teachers at the music school are quite as generally talented, but they do really know what they're doing in working with young kids. And there is a very large community of great young kids at the school. That's the main reason it seems like a possible option. But I agree. Three classes a week is a lot.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the clarification about Webkinz, gratified3. Still not quite sure what it is, but pretty clear that I'm not looking forward to it. Ah, well.

Just to be clear about our relation to music. DW and I both grew up playing instruments - piano and violin for me, piano and classical guitar for DW. DW's mom is a pianist turned piano teacher; we both think it's important for DS to have music in his life. Neither of us has any hope or desire that it will be a career for him, however. Indeed, I think it's probably a very difficult way to make a living, and I wouldn't encourage it at all as a career choice unless it were clearly the thing in the world that motivated him most. (I say this having chosen an academic career, which seems to me to have similar upside and downside potentials.) Still, he does seem very moved by music, and he shows some rather strong interest in being able to play instruments. I do believe that the kids who are in this program like it a lot, and that it would be a good group of kids for DS to get involved with. And I think he could gain a sense of accomplishment if he made some progress. But all these things are tempered by the fact that he's only 4, and by the fact that there are other things he enjoys more. If there were Suzuki baseball I would definitely sign him up.

BB

K
    K
    Here you go BaseballDad

http://www.webkinz.com

Don't let your 4 year old see it! DD4 just saw me bring that page up and she's flipping out. crazy

OP Offline
    Thanks, Kimck. I think.

BB

I feel like I've just witnessed a crack exchange!

Don't do it BB! You'll be sorry!

About the sticker chart. Because the girls see what I put into the bag and have to "work" to pick something out, I'm hoping that it will eliminate a lot of the instant gratification, entitlement issues that seem to be the norm today.
    It usually takes about 3 weeks, give or take, for them to complete the chart.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I feel like I've just witnessed a crack exchange!

Are you referring to the webkinz link or to my newfound addiction to this board? This is worse than e-mail. Must get back to work, must get back to work. [Zombie eyes.]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM