Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Isa
    And tomorrow I have a meeting with Principal #2, who by the way has already agreed to skip DD to first grade.

That puts choice #2 back in the running for me. smile

Just be sure that if school #2 is making promises, they're promises they can and will keep. (Actually any of the schools, for that matter!)

Not to sound like a cynic, but a school can tell you anything to get you in the door. It's what they deliver that matters.

But, of course, you know that... wink

I just think it's just good to keep your cynic hat firmly on during these sorts of decisions. It's easy to want things to work out so badly that you don't make sure things pass the "sniff test." I consider myself a pretty savvy consumer, but I fell for the "bait and switch" from a pre-K once. It happens.

Oh, and as for all the different opinions we have: I think that's because none of the options (so far at least) looks markedly better or worse than the others. Unless you find out something about one of them that shifts the balance, I think it all comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of your family. And happily, there are worse things than several decent choices! laugh

FWIW...

Kriston
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi there,

thanks a lot for the answers.

We just had a talks this afternoon with Mr Principal of school #2 and with their 'remedial/advisor' teacher. They listened very careful about the needs of DD and they were honest that while they have had gt kids in the past, none were as gifted as DD so they would have to improvised a little. Advisor teacher seemed quite interested in DD and eager to learn more about giftedness. I told them as well that I really would like to be 'part of the team' to establish the IEP since I am the one that knows best DD and have already found good sources of information.

They agreed that it did not matter if they thought that acceleration was great IF the teacher did not. So they told us that they will talk with the 4 teachers of the 4 grade 1 groups and as well they will think thoroughly if they can offer to DD what she needs. They will call beginning next week.

On the other hand we will have another information evening in the gifted school #3 next Monday, so we will know more details about how and what do they teach. We are getting some contradictory information about these schools, about whether they group by ability or age, and I think this needs clarification. These GT schools are a really new thing here in NL, and sometime it looks like they are 'experimenting'...

DD is picking up on the tension and she is lately .... well ... quite .. ehem... I ended up shouting at her a couple of times. Not good frown

Hopefully we will be able to take a decision by next week!

Ed to add that the good sources of info includes this forum wink

Last edited by Isa; 07/09/08 02:49 PM.
    WOW! It's great that you have choices. I hope you find and answer and some peace soon.

I think you are doing the right thing by finding as much information as possible ahead of the time.

Going back to your original post Montessori classroom with 1:30 ratio doesn't seem to be a good option. I say if you are willing to pay for an extra teacher, it may be worth thinking about paying somebody to drive your daughter to/from the gt school, assuming you like the school, of course.

The commute sounds quite long but it's still doable. May be you could carpool once you get to know the other parents or like I said pay somebody to drive her a few times each week.

The PS sounds pretty flexible. It looks like at this point you have a few good options.

Good luck on Monday

LMom
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    School #2 (local public Catholic) is all hot into getting DD, teacher agrees to take DD on her class, and wants to meet once more -with DD this time- next week to discuss further details.

Unless the GT school is reaaaaallly muuuuch better I think I am sold on this option (#2 I mean).

It sounds like a good choice.

Are they making any promises about what they can do for your DD? Are you getting it in writing?

Kriston
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    They are not making any promises yet.

I think this is what they want to discuss next week.

About getting it in writing... I doubt it. Did you know that until a few years ago it was possible to buy a house under a verbal contract? Even now if I say (and only) say, that I will buy your house you can take me to court if I do not...

So as you can see, Dutch are hot on verbal agreements....

I will see what I can do about getting something in writing though.... maybe doing some minutes of the meeting?

Maybe just recap what was said, even in an e-mail, so that everyone is on the same page. A note that says "This is what I understood our agreement to be. Correct?" would do it, I think.

It just often happens that the school hears one thing and the parents hear another...Not ideal! You want to be sure that they deliver what you think they're promising.

It is really good that they're excited to snag your DD for their school. That's a good sign! smile

Kriston
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh well, we just have come from a meeting from the potential gifted school and what a disappointment frown

The whole thing looked hurried and completely targeted to MG. They do not offer acceleration. There was no discussion whatsoever about the details of the curriculum or how to compact, how enrichment lessons were going to be implemented, etc.

The teachers have just one month of training, and they looked like the teachers who get along with the Principal so they get a 'bonus'.

Overall I was (and DH) quite negatively impressed. frown

I really hope that the meeting tomorrow at school #2 gets better and that I have a better feeling about the teacher.

Sorry to hear that. At least you still have two more options.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM