Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    DS8 has a burning desire to take a particular foreign language. I was talking to a faculty member at a local school that is offering this particular language. It is a pretty unusual language and no one really offers it anywhere. They just happen to have this guy who teaches it at this school. They have offered to let DS try level 1 of this language. It would be a tiny class - maybe 6 kids, 3x a week, 45 mins each class. But they will all be 14-15 years old. Would you let your child take the class? Why? Why not? DS REALLY wants to learn this language.

ETA: I am thinking, "no way". My PG DH thinks, "sure why not" - he would have appreciated such an opportunity as a child.

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 09/13/14 12:12 PM.
    Z
    Z
    I would if I thought my DS8 would be up to the written output and study habit demands of such a course. The more interesting and obscure a course is, I'd think the more likely to have a kindred spirits effect than to have age issues. It's similar to experiences DS has had around gamers, or trying climbing.

If he really wants to do it, why not? For something that interests him, I know my DS8 will put in the work required. At the very worst, he gets exposure to the language.

D
    D
    Yup. We'd do that.

P
    P
    My 8 year old 2E DD was in an 8th grade reading comprehension group last year - no problems. She did say that she restricted her answers, though, because she "didn't want the other kids to feel bad." She also does musical theater and spends a lot of time with teenagers. If its a way to get him a chance to learn the language I would jump at it!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I'd agree with ZS. If your child is up to the course demands, or if the instructor is willing to let him sit in on an audit basis, and benefit from the instruction and conversational practice without the written expectations, I would let him try. I was only a year or two older when I audited my first university course--a foreign language. Some other students from my program were your son's age when they did the same thing that term. I don't remember feeling the age difference most of the time, as I was interested in the language. Possibly more so than some of my classmates. I do remember one of my parents meeting with the professor, probably to reassure themselves that he would handle my placement gracefully (although the only thing I remember from the conversation was a discussion on seasonal allergies!).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I'm with your DH, here. Sure. Why not? If it's something that your DS is truly interested in doing-- it'll work itself out.

DD15 was in a robotics workshop with 14yo participants when she was 9.

She was also in a drawing class with students of all ages (but all adults) when she was 10.

It was fine once the rest of her classmates moved past the novelty of it and let her be. They forgot her age over time, because she was just like anyone else in the context of the activity. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My 10 year old was in an algebra class with 13-16 year olds. It was fine.

Val Offline
    It's only one class, so I would let one of my kids do it.

C
    C
    Am I the only one who says yes but would like a PM to know the obscure language...I can't stand imagining the obscure language.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Ok, ok, the yeas win. It seems like an unfathomable age difference to me. Really! But maybe we will give it a shot. I can PM anyone with the language. DS will be over the moon if he gets the chance.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Ok, ok, the yeas win. It seems like an unfathomable age difference to me. Really! But maybe we will give it a shot. I can PM anyone with the language. DS will be over the moon if he gets the chance.

Great! Considering your DS's interest and your ability to find someone to actually teach it, why not?

I am curious as to what the language is (please PM me) and I made a few guesses and want to check if I am right!

My DS attends 2 classes (he will be 7 soon) with 13-15 year olds because he progressed through levels at an accelerated pace that he found himself with those peers. They are Chess and Advanced Music Theory. He loves being around the teens and they help him out when he has questions and mentor him and treat him like a little brother.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    I'd like to know the obscure language too! DD wanted to take Latin this year, but we had a scheduling conflict.

A
    A
    Latin is actually very easy to learn! I mastered it in about six months.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    I'd like to know the obscure language too! DD wanted to take Latin this year, but we had a scheduling conflict.

Me too, please! I wonder whether it's one with an obscure alphabet or pictograms...if it is, the writing demands may not be that onerous in quantity, but challenging in quality. Though I think if he'd get auditing status, it might help the other kids (and their parents) accept him better, and he'd learn just the same. Possibly better than them. I recall trying to learn Spanish in evening classes with adults at the age of 13 or so, and having to quite after a couple years because even though some of the adults claimed to study an hour daily and I wen over the homework during ten minutes in the car if that much, there wasn't any noticeable progress by then.
    Though if it's such a small class and such an obscure language, they might be all kids intrinsically competitive in linguistics, and it might turn out to be a great group...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM