Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Yes, 'Neato, I think you are right. It was probably the constant practice for the same consistent beat or rhythm that resulted in the improvement. And I bet it WILL carry over into other things. Perhaps there are even subtle changes in her cognitive processing since mastering the swimming strokes??

I think this is why martial arts has an impact on task focus, too. Or any other task involving timing and coordination. And this study seems to support that both timing and cognitive processing are based in the same area of the brain. SI theories support that it is the basic, fundamental neurological processes of sensory processing that support development timing and sequencing which in turn support higher level development of cognitive and perceptual skills, including task focus and attention.

When I did the IM training myself, to be certified to use it in practice, I first tested well within the "average" range according to their score profiles (41 to 69 ms off the beat). At the end, my timing on the activities is now in what they call the "gifted" range (under 22 ms off the beat, actually under 20 ms!). I had no identified problems that I was hoping to "fix" by doing IM. But about a month after completing the training I asked my husband if he noticed anything different about me. His comment surprised me, as he said that I seemed to finish things more often rather than have 4 things going on at once and leaving three of them undone! He said I still did 3 or 4 things at once but at least now I got 3 or even all 4 done without leaving them unattended! Apparently I was slightly ADD! Perhaps kid related etiology??!!

I had a child who did the IM and was on swim team also. Her mom told me that she cut a full second off her time for her best event by the time we finished the training. Her coach noticed that she was more fluid and smooth in the water and that something had changed in her coordination. It just amazes me each time I do it!

But, I didn't post this to hype up IM training. I do think that many other things can have the same impact. And it makes me wonder if this kind of stuff can help a gifted child who just can't seem to get it organized?? Perhaps boost those underachievers who just can't seem to stay well focused or are off in too many directions? Maybe training like IM can help organize all that neuronal firing into something even greater?? I don't know. Just thinking as I type.

Well whatever it is, I'm grateful we found a way to incorporate it in a way that she really likes.
    Please don't take this as I wasn't rooting for my child, but when I signed her up for swim team, I really didn't think she would learn how to "swim". I just was hoping for a proficient doggy paddle so she wouldn't drown if she happened to fall in the pool. But something seemed to click into place for her and my mommy instinct says it's the repetitive rythmic movement that did it. When you posted your info it popped out at me and I was like: "YES"!
    Her movement, walking, running, skipping, dancing has always been somewhat "off". So slight, though, it's almost as if you notice something isn't quite right but can't quite put your finger on it. But I do think other kids pick up on this especially on the playground. I've noticed her momements seem much more like the other kids now. It's very very subtle but I've noticed it. Maybe it's one of those mom things.
    She's expressed her desire to join winter swim team and I'm definately going to sign her up.
    There is so much about the brain that they don't know, but researchers are on the cusp of figuring out some really amazing things, IMHO.

But I do think other kids pick up on this especially on the playground.

Okay, I'm hooked on this topic now! My DS had much the same problem with swimming, Neato. He would just flounder in the pool when asked to do something like the backstroke. He is better swimming on his front, but prefers to swim longer distances underwater without stopping to breathe. In swimming classes, he could never get the rhythm for breathing to the side. The same is true for his movement while walking. There is no fluidity to the movement. I just figured it was a gangly, boy thing. But now I'm beginning to wonder.

Should I mention this to the counselor that we see for gifted kids? I'm afraid that I don't really know much about OT or who is best to diagnose it. What should I google to find out?

Great thread, Debbie. Thanks!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    BTW, my DS can't jump rope either. It is the main test for physical fitness in his school. All the other kids can get the rhythm down for jumping rope. But no matter how hard he tries, he can't jump more than two times in a row without getting all tangled up in the rope. Hummmm.... (the wheels are turning...)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    DD also had a terrible time with the jump rope! She's better now, she can do it, it's just not real pretty. I haven't seen her do it lately, will check and report back.

The swimming thing. Both girls had the once a week for 1/2 hour swimming lesson deal. They didn't learn a darn thing.
    I would guess the reason she was successful with swimming this time is because she did it EVERY day and the coaches were great.
    They were high school and college students who were on their respective school's teams. They didn't worry like a mom would. They just put the kids through the motions and it never occured to them that any of the kids wouldn't learn how to swim. There is something to be said for that. I really think the intense repetition was what was instrumental. Summer is good!
    Maybe you could try a situation like this next summer. Many places offer winter swim team. I'm pretty sure a lot of YMCA programs offer it.

W
    W
    I am still going to hold onto my stand on musical rhythmic sense and rhythmic timing. I think to be a really good musician takes an emotional connection, but you can be very competent with good rhythmic timing.

This thread has been very interesting. I like the idea that it would organize the disorganized brain. I seriously need to go there.

Ren

L
    L
    I think it is kind of interesting that my son and I find it useful to use a rhythm when we memorize lines. I have always done this and found it helpful as a child when I memorized long Bible verses. Nobody taught me to do this, but in my head, it was as if I had a metronome going and I was able to memorize things quickly by using a beat.

When my son needed to memorize lines of over 300 words at age 4 1/2 for his musical theater class, I clapped out a steady beat as I read the lines to him and he memorized very quickly this way. He says he still uses a beat to memorize sometimes, but not always. A few times when he had to memorize something quickly, I noticed that he could read the material once and he could easily tell me the the gist of the whole thing, and then he would work on getting it word for word. This is different from what I do when I memorize. I take one paragraph at a time to a beat until I have it down perfectly, then move on to the next paragraph.

L
    L
    My son, who ironically loves to take baths, apparently deals with some kind of water phobia when he is in the swimming pool. It takes him forever just to get adjusted to the temperature of the water. This combined with his motor dyspraxia and hypotonia have made it very difficult for him to learn to swim. I was able to get him in a swimming class but it took him a whole week to get to the point where he could put his face in the water for more than a few seconds and actually try to swim. He was in swimming lessons 4 days a week for two weeks with a woman who uses a backyard pool and he was almost swimming, but he is not quite there yet. The teacher said I needed to get him in a pool again soon or we would be right back where we started. I guess I will have to take him to the YMCA where one of the instructors last year called him a wuss, unless I can figure out how to teach him myself.

That's outrageous. I wouldn't go back there. We are planning to join the Y for winter swim team. It that's the type of attitude we experience, we won't be sticking around.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    I think it is kind of interesting that my son and I find it useful to use a rhythm when we memorize lines. I have always done this and found it helpful as a child when I memorized long Bible verses. Nobody taught me to do this, but in my head, it was as if I had a metronome going and I was able to memorize things quickly by using a beat.

When my son needed to memorize lines of over 300 words at age 4 1/2 for his musical theater class, I clapped out a steady beat as I read the lines to him and he memorized very quickly this way. He says he still uses a beat to memorize sometimes, but not always. A few times when he had to memorize something quickly, I noticed that he could read the material once and he could easily tell me the the gist of the whole thing, and then he would work on getting it word for word. This is different from what I do when I memorize. I take one paragraph at a time to a beat until I have it down perfectly, then move on to the next paragraph.

Did you see the movie "Akela and The Bee?" That's exactly what the main character did when memorizing spelling words. And she did while jumping rope!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM