Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Amber
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Low PSI and coding scores have many possible causes, some of which have already been listed here, including: inattention, impulsivity (if high error rate), fine-motor deficits, vision, perceptual weaknesses, anxiety, depression, perfectionism, fatigue, sleep disorders, allergies, psychomotor retardation as a medication side effect.

So how it presents in real life depends on what the etiology is.

If it is something that affects handwriting, you may not see it that easily if he is not doing timed activities, as he may be able to be accurate, if slow.

Thank you aeh! I'm intrigued by the allergy mention. Ds has multiple food and environmental allergies as well as EoE.
    There is research that finds that children with environmental allergies display decreased attention during allergic reaction episodes. There are also drags on attention/executive function that occur as side effects of medications for allergies and asthma. For most children, the net effect of med side effects is less severe than that of going unmedicated, especially on a bad day.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Low PSI and coding scores have many possible causes, some of which have already been listed here, including: inattention, impulsivity (if high error rate), fine-motor deficits, vision, perceptual weaknesses, anxiety, depression, perfectionism, fatigue, sleep disorders, allergies, psychomotor retardation as a medication side effect.

What about my suggestion. I don't think it's on your list.

Originally Posted by 22B
    This topic comes up a lot, and the "perfectionism" explanation is a common one (assuming it's not a legitimate case of slow processing). I'm not convinced. I think the problem is that you have a task where you need to come up with a strategy to find the right balance between speed and accuracy, and you have no reference point to know how fast you should be trying to go (and maybe don't have the life experience to even think about such strategies) so you simply set about the task most likely at a non-optimal speed.

I just don't think it's a good test where the score depends on whether a child happens to hit on the right balance of speed and accuracy.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by Amber
    Originally Posted by aeh

If it is something that affects handwriting, you may not see it that easily if he is not doing timed activities, as he may be able to be accurate, if slow.

Thank you aeh! I'm intrigued by the allergy mention. Ds has multiple food and environmental allergies as well as EoE.
    There is research that finds that children with environmental allergies display decreased attention during allergic reaction episodes. There are also drags on attention/executive function that occur as side effects of medications for allergies and asthma. For most children, the net effect of med side effects is less severe than that of going unmedicated, especially on a bad day.

This is indeed intriguing as my ds has several allergies as well and has been treated on an off for years with medication that has affected his mood. I've often wondered if it has affected his cognitive functioning as well.

B
    B
    I worked with 1st through 3rd graders and used a timer for reading fluency pretty much all of the time. Many of them seemed to have no grasp of the importance of speed. They would stop in the middle of a sentence, go back and start the sentence over, yawn in the middle of it, stop and make random comments, etc. It was frustrating because I was charting their progress and once they hit a certain target with their speed, and hit it 3 weeks in a row, they could be exited from the program. I didn't want to pressure them to "read as fast as you can" because that made some of them anxious and they actually slowed down. Personally I think "coding" is just a really dumb test. Too many kids who score brilliantly in everything else get average or low coding scores and it doesn't add up, or seem to mean much of anything about their actual intelligence (or what I would consider intelligence at any rate). I would buy into speed as a factor of intelligence in other sorts of tasks, but coding seems to depend way too much on other factors. Why not just have the person respond verbally, for instance hold up pictures of objects that they already know (like cat, dog, baby, etc), and time their response? Why is "motor speed" even a component of IQ? If it is, then people with disabilities like dyspraxia should have lower IQs as a general principle. All of the subtests should show roughly the same score (give or take), otherwise it seems like it's not really telling us much of anything about their overall ability.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I worked with 1st through 3rd graders and used a timer for reading fluency pretty much all of the time. Many of them seemed to have no grasp of the importance of speed. They would stop in the middle of a sentence, go back and start the sentence over, yawn in the middle of it, stop and make random comments, etc. It was frustrating because I was charting their progress and once they hit a certain target with their speed, and hit it 3 weeks in a row, they could be exited from the program. I didn't want to pressure them to "read as fast as you can" because that made some of them anxious and they actually slowed down. Personally I think "coding" is just a really dumb test. Too many kids who score brilliantly in everything else get average or low coding scores and it doesn't add up, or seem to mean much of anything about their actual intelligence (or what I would consider intelligence at any rate). I would buy into speed as a factor of intelligence in other sorts of tasks, but coding seems to depend way too much on other factors. Why not just have the person respond verbally, for instance hold up pictures of objects that they already know (like cat, dog, baby, etc), and time their response? Why is "motor speed" even a component of IQ? If it is, then people with disabilities like dyspraxia should have lower IQs as a general principle. All of the subtests should show roughly the same score (give or take), otherwise it seems like it's not really telling us much of anything about their overall ability.

Thank you blackcat! That relaxes me a tad! lol. My husband and I are pretty set on getting a full workup anyways, because there may be *something* there, what it is, I don't know. Maybe I'm in denial, but since I homeschool him, I feel like I'd pick up on if he had some sort of major deficit that caused him to perform worse than 99% of the 7 year olds that have taken that test. I am worried that I sound like I'm in denial, I promise I'm not, we are going to look into this. The tester really made it sound like she could tell by the way he was acting that he just did not understand he was supposed to go fast. I am also confused as to why this isn't apparent in his WJ scores? Are the fluency portions not timed? He did do the worst in writing fluency, but that was still 51%, not 1%. Perhaps I am missing something, I admittedly have not looked into what makes up these tests.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Surprisingly, there is some relationship between motor speed and intelligence. Jensen is very hot on reaction time as a measure of "g". I don't think it's as good a measure (.51, the lowest on the WISC-IV, vs .83 for vocabulary, the highest) as, say verbal reasoning, but it has its value for many kids. Just not a good reflection of intelligence for some.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just read on the new wisc coding is less heavily weighted. Not that it matters for my ds, because we already know his GAI without it, but I thought it was interesting.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    B
    B
    I still think there has to be a better method of measuring that. Some people are fast, sloppy writers, and others are slow and careful. I wouldn't say that fast and sloppy equals "brighter". DD is very fast with other fine motor skills, like making those rainbow loom things, weaving, braiding hair, playing piano, etc. Those are all things where the "slow processing" isn't apparent. Ask her what 9X6 + 8X7 is though and it will be more obvious. So there are big differences between motor speed with her depending on the task. Writing is really the only area where I see a deficit in terms of fine motor.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by aeh

I didn't know this. What is interesting to me is that this would seem to be more evidence that issues with the immune system affect the nervous system and the brain. (And yet, mainstream medicine seems uninterested in the "side effects" of both the allergy, i.e. immune issue, and the treatment, and looking more toward root causes in cases of attention issues and so forth.)

I've been reading lately about certain immune problems that actually cause handwriting issues, possibly just the sort of motor issues indicated by a low Coding score. (Things that make you go "hmm...")

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/13/14 08:00 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, processing speed and working memory are both less-heavily weighted into the FSIQ on the WISC-V (2 out of the 7 subtests) than they were on the WISC-IV (4 out of the 10 subtests). Partly to make room for the division of PRI into VSI and FRI (trying to keep the number of core subtests down--7, reduced from 10), and partly because they really don't load as heavily onto general intelligence.

The index scores also will not translate as neatly into the FSIQ, as there will be an additional three subtests necessary to derive the five primary index scores (one more for each of the VSI, WMI, and PSI).

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM