Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #200337 09/08/14 10:17 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi All, Anyone have any experience with this app: http://modmath.com/ ? The school is interested in trying in my little guy with dysgraphia. It looks great! We really need something for math because he loves it and does really well and we do not want the writing and his letter reversals holding him back.

Irena #200429 09/09/14 11:38 AM
    B
    B
    How does that compare to "Panther Math Paper"?

One thing I did with DS and DD and long division was teach them "the cheating method" so they don't have to write as much. It probably wouldn't work well for kids with poor working memories but mine seem to do Ok. So for instance say you are dividing 109 by 6. 6 goes into 10 one time with four left over. Write down a 1 where it belongs. Put a small "4" right in front of the 9 in the problem. 6 goes into 49 8 times with one left over. Write down the 8 after the 1, with a remainder of 1. Presto magic, long division writing down only 2 numbers besides the answer. With many problems even that is unnecessary, they can do it all in their heads by visualizing "the cheating method". Haven't figured out any good tricks yet for longer multplication problems. The easy ones aren't hard to do mentally, like 34x9 would be 30 X 9 + 4 X 9, or 270+36. DS attempts to do longer problems in his head, and I just don't think this is going to be appropriate over the long term. He will stare into space and mutter numbers, saying things like "zero place holder, carry the two...." It's bizarre and painful to watch and I am always tempted to force him to write it down, which would be much simpler for me and most other people.

If you decide to try modmath, post how it goes! We are looking at options for DS in particular and they are talking about an AT eval.

Irena #200433 09/09/14 01:29 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hey Blackcat... I am not really sure how it differs from Math Paper. I had them try Math paper last year and it was sort of a disaster with the teachers trying to figure it out and with them being all distraught that they couldn't scan in his worksheets, etc... At one point they were having him do the work on math paper and then recopy on to his worksheet/test. Yeah, at the risk of being really condescending - what a bunch of morons! They just couldn't deal with it and ended up abandoning it. This year, it is the school considering this (as opposed to me proposing it as was the case with mathpaper); so, maybe, it's a better/more user friendly program? Also, these are different teachers. Last years teachers did not impress me with the ability to solve problems, etc. But this years teachers may be better. They already seem better... Anyway, I'll look more into it and let you know how it goes. Im sure we'll have a meeting about it.

I'd really would like something for my guy for math. He has a good working memory so he'd probably love your 'cheaty way' smile But I'd love to see him be able to "write" math independently.

Irena #200437 09/09/14 02:00 PM
    M
    M
    I have never actually used modmath, but I have seen positive reviews in the past on the dysgraphia yahoo group. If that helps any

Irena #200449 09/09/14 04:42 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks, Master of None. By the way, I think I got the idea from you to use Nuance Paperport for scanning worksheets so that Ds can type on them. We ordered it and it's coming tomorrow. smile Thanks!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations