Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    The short version:
    How do I figure out what DS5 math level is?
    Is it important to get the school to be aiming math at that level ASAP?

The long version:
    I am not sure how to go about advocating for my son for math at school. DS5 is in K and going to year 1 for math. He is in the top math group in year 1, and from discussions with the school, they think he is challenged there. I am not sure exactly what he is doing, but the worksheets he brings home are very basic, and would not be challenging him.

His school subscribes to a computer program called mathletics, but he was assigned to K for it, so we don't do it at home. I decided to get a home subscription for us so I could try to get an idea how he is going in math. I have had him complete the tests for each category in year 1 math, There were 10 tests, and he has scored 87% on 2 and over 90% on the rest. I think the program is supposed to be pretty closely aligned to the syllabus. So he has 2 terms left in the year 1 math classroom, and as far as I can tell, he already knows most of what they are going to cover.

I changed his level to year 2 now, and he hasn't done any of it yet, but I had a look through, and some of it will be pretty basic for him, and some stuff he will need to learn. But he seems to pick up math very quickly, so I can't imagine it will take him a whole year to get through the year 2 material.

He had the Wiat math reasoning test earlier this year and scored grade 2.2 equivalent, and he has recently done the WJ-iii Achievement test, but I am still waiting on the results. Will the WJ-iii give a good idea of his math level?

I don't want to be pushing him through just for the sake of getting him to a higher math level, but I do want him to be learning something and feeling challenged.

D
    D
    You could have them give him the Key Math test. That would indicate a level.

It's important to involve them in the eval, because if it's just your results, they may not believe you.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    While the KeyMath is a good comprehensive math assessment, it will not give grade equivalents that are any better psychometrically than the WIAT and WJ, which he has already had. All three tests generate normative data, not true grade placement information. The KeyMath will point out specific skill deficits or peaks, but will not tell you where in the curriculum he should be instructed. For that, you need curriculum-based assessment, using summative (end of unit) and formative (progress monitoring and pretesting) assessments from the curriculum itself.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by aeh
    While the KeyMath is a good comprehensive math assessment, it will not give grade equivalents that are any better psychometrically than the WIAT and WJ, which he has already had. All three tests generate normative data, not true grade placement information. The KeyMath will point out specific skill deficits or peaks, but will not tell you where in the curriculum he should be instructed. For that, you need curriculum-based assessment, using summative (end of unit) and formative (progress monitoring and pretesting) assessments from the curriculum itself.

For us, though, KeyMath served well to guide the school where to start with a curriculum-based assessment. The list of topics that DD knew (and didn't know) was also cast in a way that was very much more understandable to the teachers involved, who by reason of NCLB, are terrified of gaps.

M
    M
    we have never know exactly where Aiden was until just this past weekend - he is now 7.5.

Our biggest help was Dreambox as an online program as it allows for section skipping based on pre-tests, and gives grade level reports on what is being covered. Very helpful for me, and I suppose that a school would struggle to argue with such a bold report feature showing what was passed in pre test and what has been concluded via the curriculum.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the responses. I think when I next meet with the school I will ask them how they have determined his math level, and if they have not really done any protesting I could request it. I probably will not be aiming for much change for this year, as it is his first year of school and he is still learning a lot socially. But next year I would like them to be teaching at least close to his level.

So far the school has had a pretty good attitude, so hopefully we will be able to find a way of finding and catering for his level that everyone is comfortable with.

We are in australia, so I don't know if dream box would be as relevant here? I had a quick look and it looks like a good program. The mathletics I have him doing is what the school uses, so I am hoping his results there will be in their language.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Hi Dubsyd. We used Mathletics but it never really engaged DD. The school kept moving her up through levels but it never really seemed to meet her needs. I didn't think it aligned with grade overly well. Maths on line is more tightly aligned to the school curriculum but DD thought the delivery was boring. It costs $197 a year but it gives a good indication of level as per the Australia Curriculum.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks ndw. DS is also bored with mathletics. I made him take the tests because I wanted to get an idea of how he is going, but he definitely was not engaged. He really enjoys reading eggspress, and works well on that, so at least we have a good program for his reading.

I will look into maths online, but I don't want to be making him do too much outside of school, especially if it is something that he doesn't really enjoy. I can definitely see the appeal of home schooling, although it is not an option for us.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Funny you should say that about Home Schooling Dubsyd.....we have our interview with BOSTES this afternoon. Is either home school or jump to yr 11. I don't think I would get maths on line. We were lucky to use it when Macdonalds was sponsoring it. We paid for one year after that and DD didn't use it. There are lots of free options and apps that are worth exploring if your DS was keen at some point. I only mentioned it as it one way over getting the info you sought.

We asked loads of times about achievement testing when DD was younger because we wanted to answer that exact question....what work is the right work? Schools gave us blank stares for the most part. One school in Canberra was awesome, the rest not so much.

When he is ready, DD loved the humor of Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton for reading. You could start by reading those to him. Easy but fun, if somewhat gross in a little kid way.

E
    E
    FWIW, we have had a Mathletics subscription via school for the past 3.5 years and never found it very useful (or fun) ... maybe when my second DS was in K and working on Mathletics set at Year 3 it was sort of ok but that didn't last for long once he had another big leap forward. Also, do you find it teaches him anything? I find it to be practice not a teaching new concepts tool but perhaps I have totally missed something!

I think you would find it interesting to give him the Singapore Maths placement tests (http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm). They are free, you can do it at home just as a data point for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM