Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    P
    P
    Lots of people quit doing things they are good at to do something else. And lots of people quit things that everyone thinks they are really good at because they know they are good not great (ballet, music, art are common here - everyone says "I never understood why she gave up.x to do y, she had so much talent").

Originally Posted by Portia
    Ok JonLaw - WHY? Self pressure, not being met in school, parental pressure, other?

A combination of parental pressure and self pressure, mostly.

I wasn't in school to learn. I was in school to win.

DS is intense, we have discussions about balance. He also is good about saying when he needs a break from something. He seems to be very in tune with what is a good challenge versus too hard for him at the moment. (Which, I confess, is also why I freak out when he regresses just prior to a growth spurt.) I assumed it came with LOG. I guess maybe that is more personality and I'll have to watch it as he ages.

I never figured out anything to do with balance or with the level of challenge required.

My early life approach was more pouring 110% into whatever it was I wanted, working under the presumption that I could run at 110% forever because I absolutely awesome, and then completely crashing. Also, then then having no idea how to recover because my level of resilience was about zero.

I assume if you figure out how to learn actual intensity coping skills you avoid becoming me.

In terms of the regression, I think it has more to do with gathering psychological energy before the growth spurt. That part seems pretty normal and healthy to me.

So, rather than worrying you, you should use it as a tell to recognize that a growth spurt is coming.

B
    B
    I was talking with the mother of a friend of DS's the other day. She asked about DS's math. I told her it was going well, but did not elaborate as she has a child same age and did not want there to be a comparison. She proceeded to tell me about her friend's child who was really good in math, like DS. He placed in state competitions at a young age (5th grade). Real superstar. He was very focused on math, then by high school, he had burnt out. Did not go to college. No longer does math anything.
    College grades and graduation rates have a positive monotonic relationship with prior achievement, as measured by high school grades and test scores. There is of course a chance that someone with a good high school record will drop out of college, but the good record is not itself a reason for the parent to worry about this.

N
    N
    I lived in a town for a while that was well known for extreme tiger parents and had a friend who, in retrospect, was most likely HG or PG. She did well, but her sister who was suppose to be even more gifted flamed out and was supported by her parents even into her 30s. They both grew up in the same town and in the same environment but one thrived and the other completely burned out by early high school.

There was definitely extreme tiger-parenting in my town - and so many examples of "burnouts" by kids that other parents would say "oh, he was so smart - he was destined for great things, what happened?".

It is not LOG - I feel it is a combination of the environment AND the person's temperament more than LOG for burn out.

I definitely see "burnout" so much more in the sports world, from kids who spent so many years dedicated to their sport (especially in year-round sports) and then one day had enough and decide to do something else.

As others mention - balance is key. Obsession in a single area can be unhealthy - and I know, having walked that line in the sports world and seen people fall on the other side of that line in my sport.

C
    C
    I wonder if scheduling certain amount of unscheduled creative loafing is helpful ... also Coach John Wooden's approach seems helpful. He always focused on doing your best, and not worrying too much about winning or losing (since you can control effort, but you can't control who has happened to show up to compete on a given day). If the satisfaction from doing things is internal (I made this airplane out of legos and it was challenging and fun to do it) rather than external (my airplane is better than so and so's airplane) maybe that is a more sustainable long term approach.

LAF Offline
    22B I had a whole post written and then it sort of disappeared and Zen Scanner had written a similar post to what I was going to say. I read a book called Gifted Grownups that talks about how one quality of some gifted people is that once they master something they want to move on to something else. This can make it difficult staying in one career. Also perfectionism can be an issue. I remember in elementary school I was considered "the artist" and never really had to work for that. Then in middle school another kid (who actually was doing things with it like entering competitions) showed up and I basically decided that he should be "the artist" as he obviously was better than I was. This wasn't true, we were both good but if I couldn't be the best without trying I didn't want to compete. I wasn't very competitive as I knew that drew unwanted attention. It's possible also that as a kid get into middle and high school they want to fit in more than they want to stand out.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I have seen PG adults burnout. But that has been in a field of work where the pressure is tremendous and people demand results on tight schedules.

My thought about that friend's child is that maybe that child really was PG. And even if his passion was not math, he was able to perform at a high level just because of his LOG. And then, by high school age, he figured out that math was really not what he wanted to do and decided not to pursue it. I have a nephew who is PG and pursued an engineering degree because his family expected him to. Now, at 24, he does not want to work as an engineer and is spending all his time composing music on his guitar and trying to write novels.

I was burnt out by the end of high school. You can perform at a high level just because of your high level of intelligence.

Because I was burnt out, I figure I only performed at about 30% of capacity in college (and law school, for that matter).

I obtained an engineering degree because it was free and my parents decided it was a good idea. I didn't have any actual interest in it.

Granted, I never really found any meaningful interests to pursue whatsoever, so I'm envious of the composer/writer.

This possibility in my own DD (similarly able but not highly passionate about... well, much of anything in particular) terrifies us.

Her college major is a combination of what WE think will eventually suit her (and what she's ultimately expressed the most passion for that is scarce enough to be in high demand) and what the first faculty member who "adopted" her is into. It worries us.

I'm laughing at Portia's second post in this thread though-- point #2-- makes me both chuckle... and shake my head. DD has the same pattern-- she never even gets to stage 2 of "let me show you who I really am" with most people. It's made her a bit stand-offish socially, though most people never know because her facade is pretty darned good.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I would expect that PG/EG participants in math competitions find themselves up against other PG/EG participants in short order, at which point the number hours of study and practice become a significant determining factor in success. Once "Who wants it more?" is a major part of the activity, it becomes very easy for someone to say, "Not me," or, "Eh... I want it, but not that badly."

Competitions can be fun and healthy, but striving for the very highest levels is often unhealthy. Training at any one thing comes with real opportunity costs as it crowds out other healthy activities, and the individual has to be willing to pay those costs.

Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    There was definitely extreme tiger-parenting in my town - and so many examples of "burnouts" by kids that other parents would say "oh, he was so smart - he was destined for great things, what happened?".

It is not LOG - I feel it is a combination of the environment AND the person's temperament more than LOG for burn out.

It's LOG plus the issue of temperament with respect to psychological resilience, and the use coping skills.

Meaning that the LOG/intensity makes the risk of this kind of burnout possible (not probable).

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM