Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    #196675 07/17/14 04:09 PM
    P
    Portia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P

Thoughts?

Last edited by Portia; 03/21/15 12:05 PM.
    Thought #1: Doing lots of math is different from doing competitions. Maybe the stress of competition ruined it for that kid. (Some kids thrive on it, but not all.)

Thought #2: What is wrong with that mom? "Oh, I just thought I'd ra-a-a-a-andomly tell you about a child who is like yours who came to a horrible end! No reason, I just thought you'd like to know!"

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I would think that it would be possible for a pg person to burn out too.

A
    A
    I have seen PG adults burnout. But that has been in a field of work where the pressure is tremendous and people demand results on tight schedules.

My thought about that friend's child is that maybe that child really was PG. And even if his passion was not math, he was able to perform at a high level just because of his LOG. And then, by high school age, he figured out that math was really not what he wanted to do and decided not to pursue it. I have a nephew who is PG and pursued an engineering degree because his family expected him to. Now, at 24, he does not want to work as an engineer and is spending all his time composing music on his guitar and trying to write novels.

Originally Posted by ashley
    I have seen PG adults burnout. But that has been in a field of work where the pressure is tremendous and people demand results on tight schedules.

My thought about that friend's child is that maybe that child really was PG. And even if his passion was not math, he was able to perform at a high level just because of his LOG. And then, by high school age, he figured out that math was really not what he wanted to do and decided not to pursue it. I have a nephew who is PG and pursued an engineering degree because his family expected him to. Now, at 24, he does not want to work as an engineer and is spending all his time composing music on his guitar and trying to write novels.

I was burnt out by the end of high school. You can perform at a high level just because of your high level of intelligence.

Because I was burnt out, I figure I only performed at about 30% of capacity in college (and law school, for that matter).

I obtained an engineering degree because it was free and my parents decided it was a good idea. I didn't have any actual interest in it.

Granted, I never really found any meaningful interests to pursue whatsoever, so I'm envious of the composer/writer.

22B Offline
    Why are people assuming that there really was "burn out" (from excessive academic pressure). There could be other reasons an academically successful student fails to go to college such as drugs, alcohol, gambling, depression, family problems, medical problems, legal problems, etcetera.

Z
    Z
    Some people burn out once they've hit a certain amount of mastery as the thrill can be in the massive amount of knowledge assimilated early then no matter how gifted you'll eventually reach that flexion point and Pareto will kick you in the butt and you move to a new area. Though the drive-by cautionary tale sounds more like a locus of control sort of thing, or setting one goal and attaining it only to discover it's paper mache'.

LAF Offline
    What Zen Scanner said smile

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by LAF
    What Zen Scanner said smile
    What did Zen Scanner say? crazy

B
    B
    I agre what Zen Scanner said. crazy

My bf from H.S. is still that way. Reinvents her life approximately every 3 years, good thing she never wanted kids.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM