Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    I'm struggling to see how it can be possible to learn something so complex without any help!

The only explanation I have based on observing dd is that some kids have such good vocabulary and such amazing predictive power and just know so much, that they anticipate what is going to happen in any book, fiction and non-fiction. I say this because when dd is reading aloud, she will add words to a sentence to make it read better and then stop and realize those words are not on paper. This is also why even now if she can sometimes struggle with a simple word like 'but' but read butterflies every time with no problem. I don't believe dd is using the standard word decoding skills because no one has taught her that. Hopefully, when they do teach those skills at school,it will help dd become an even stronger reader.

C
    C
    Our DS went through a very similar stage with reading at about that age, maybe closer to age 5. I remember writing my mother (a former teacher) and saying I was really worried... she said to wait and not to worry. He suddenly started reading a short time later and was through all the appropriate chapter books in our town library (or the ones that interested him, at least) before he was six. There's something different in how he learned to read, although he knew some phonics, he didn't seem to need or respond to practicing that approach. My mom (definitely HG at least, probably PG) said her family said she herself suddenly started reading at about age four or five (after having been read to extensively but not "taught" to read).

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    Thankyou so much for this - it fits with her personality, I guess I'm still at the stage where I'm struggling to see how it can be possible to learn something so complex without any help! I think I'll keep you as my hope and try the other suggestions as a backup
    Reading a language you can already understand is less complex to learn than understanding a language in the first place, if you think about it, and we assume children will learn that without being explicitly taught! I think DS learned to read by first memorising stories and then code-cracking against the written text.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I think that is what DD did, too-- and then kind of forcing the issue with the ONE thing that she didn't yet have-- actually blending-with-decoding-out-loud-- was the key. That was ALL that she needed to be explicitly "taught."

She learned to "read" in less than two weeks. But I have no idea how different things would have been if we hadn't pushed just that little bit. And make no mistake-- her personality was such that she howled a bit about it being "harrrrrrd" for the first couple of fifteen minute sessions with the phonemically-controlled readers. But once she figured out that we weren't budging, and that the easiest route forward was just just buckle down and do what we asked... well. Like I said-- this took two weeks. And when I say "two weeks" what I mean by that is that we had the first set of what were effectively a lot like BOB books (but snarkier, and in full color-- the first one was "Bug in a Rug" or some such thing), and we insisted that she work with a parent for about fifteen minutes every couple of days or so. Once she demonstrated that she COULD decode using what she already knew (which was... um... pretty much all of the phoneme stuff that is taught in K-2), we let her be.

Within a month, she was reading basic chapter books like Cam Jansen.

Within six months, she was sneaking Harry Potter into her room at night with a flashlight.

Honestly, this was a matter of ME trusting what my gut was telling me, and I wish that I'd done it years sooner. She was missing that ONE piece. Just the one-- because when you think about how kids learn language, they SEE the process all around them, and can hear how it works. But reading? Well, adults don't spend any time demonstrating decoding skills orally, if that makes sense.

Once she had that key in her hands, the entire WORLD opened up in front of her. It was amazing-- and it was the first time that I truly understood just how different she actually is from NT. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks HK my gut is telling me the same thing, she finds everything else just soooo easy. I might try that for a few weeks. If there's no progress I'll drop it for a while

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for the encouragement and great examples of your own kids doing the same thing. I was wondering what I was missing. Sounds like it happens quite a but for these kids.

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Reading a language you can already understand is less complex to learn than understanding a language in the first place

Less complex in some abstract sense doesn't neccessarily mean anything about how actual brains do it. Babies and young children are pretty much hard-wired to seek and acquire the structures of natural language, and that doesn't translate to other systems with different characteristics.

Here's an interesting case in point: Little kids will naturally acquire a signed language that they are exposed to (by fluent signers, I'm not talking about parents who do "baby sign"), because it shares the structural characteristics of spoken language; but they do not acquire "signed English" as a natural language, because it is awkward and artificial and the pacing is all wrong. They can learn to do it, but it is more of an explicit learning task, like learning to do math, than it is like natural language acquisition.

Learning to read is in this category too. For most kids. Don't forget we have an extremely biased sample here on this board! laugh

Like others here have posted, IMO, the focus should be on literacy.

Its absence almost certainly WILL be used to deny advanced placements.

Fasten your seat belt, though!

Learning to read is (was for my DD and I, at least) the fundamental bootstrap loader for pretty well everything else learned subsequently. Once your child gets it their ability to move forward hits rocket like acceleration (remember the seat belt).

For my DD her memory and abilities to glean context from the accompanying pictures and other cues allowed her to fool us into thinking that she could read earlier than she actually could. She was that good. LOL.

She had could sight read a lot of individual words and knew her 'letter sounds' but she needed a push to sound out the letters to pronounce the actual words. It took a very intense (for the both of us) 2 hour session one Saturday morning when she was about 6 or so when I gave her an entirely novel book and was horrified to learn that she couldn't read it.

I spent the time during those 2 hours to get her to sound out the words based on latter sounds and also the basic 'combination letter sounds' like 'st', 'th', 'ou' etc as we encountered them in the book. I felt like Dr Mengele and pushed through the tears to the sunlight and rainbows on the other side. Whole universes of knowledge now lay at her feet!

Within weeks she was tearing through Harry Potter, the Magic Treehouse, Geronimo Stilton and books on Egyptology, Astronomy etc with joy. The rapidity with which she cannoned through books was stunning.

I had been taught the same way by a relative myself as a kid with similar results (my story was a bit more complicated in that I actually learned and then forgot how to read but relearned it this way).

I thought that I had cracked the code to being the Uber Teacher until later I discovered that my DD was DYS material and that the talent was hers not mine LOL.

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/15/14 04:08 PM. Reason: tidied up mobile device original

Become what you are
    C
    C
    LOL that Madeinuk was Teacher of the Year for a split second.

I was trying to teach my ds at 4 because he was upset that he was the only one in the family that couldn't read. I had been a special ed teacher before kids so had tons of materials. I was amazed that he could do multiple lessons in one day and was wearing me out wanting to keep going and going and going. Finally, I told him the max number of lessons per day that was my limit and he took the book from me and stomped off to the side and sat down and finished the whole book on his own. I have often said he taught himself to read that day. But now I wonder if he already knew mostly how to read and just needed to get over that last hump and for him to know that he was a reader and for others to recognize it too.

I also want to reiterate the point above-- when DYS-level kids learn to really read fluently-- to decode completely on their own, that is?

They transition almost instantly into reading-to-learn. They "get" what reading is "good for" all right. They KNOW that the entire world is their oyster.

Whooooooo boy-- you only THOUGHT that they learned fast before that moment. whistle Afterwards, they are truly alien/superhuman. DD has leveraged that reading ability (and speed-- heavens, her SPEED) to basically have the research skills of a lawyer. She's formidable when it comes to backing her arguments with data and statistics, and has been since she was six or seven.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM