Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    There are so many good suggestions, I'm not sure I can make any new ones. I particularly like from HowlerKarma & indigo.

-- Don't assume that "high potential" = "high achievement."

-- If a child is "bored" this is not a statement against you, personally, and does not call for retaliation.

-- For industrious and energetic bright youngsters, differentiation via more work than classmates MIGHT be appropriate-- but it is rarely so for truly gifted children, and the higher the level of cognitive ability, the LESS appropriate it is to add repetition.

-- Another tip may be to realize that children may develop asynchronously, and to teach a child at his/her level of readiness and ability in each area.

C
    C
    And a book might be a perfectly fine book to read, answer questions about, analyze and enjoy for every single kid in the class. But for a gifted kid it might be an hour or two worth of work and for the rest of the class it is a huge 3 week novel study. My son considers these "novels" fine to read but more like a short story to him. (Example...Stone Fox)

I
    I
    ... one last tip I would have would be to educate your educators!!!!! When a person is going to school to be a teacher, whatever meager (if any) training on gifted students and gifted education they receive is not adequate.
    How true. While requisite formal education may be lacking, there is an abundance of material which could serve as curriculum.

Starting places may include articles on the Davidson Database, lists of books on Hoagies Gifted Education Page, the Davidson Educators' Guild, and publishers such as Great Potential Press, Prufrock Press, free spirit publishing, and Gifted Education Press.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In-class differentiation is a false utopian myth, in most cases. It is far more effective to group school children by ability in separate classrooms, and teach to each group's level.

That said, you may not know everyone's true ability level (e.g. entering kindergarten, if if tested). School's need to figure out how to create an environment where a child can reach their potential, even if they're not sure what their potential is.

The problem with this is that schools will group by performance not ability and often by the weakest skill. So your gifted child could still end up in the wrong class due to not writing fast enough to complete the test or not being good at creative writing or group work. I would prefer they grouped by subject and need rather than the results of one test as often happened when I was a kid.

I
    I
    I would prefer they grouped by subject and need
    Agreed! Kiddos can easily have different readiness/ability in different areas.

Flexible cluster grouping by readiness and ability, in each subject area, across grade levels, and without regard to chronological age, may make it logistically easier for educators to teach, while learners benefit from receiving an appropriate challenge with their peers.

Results from tests such as MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) could be utilized as a datapoint in creating flexible cluster groups.

Within each flexible cluster grouping, differentiation may be effective.

I
    I
    Lots of thoughts about differentiation on this thread... reminded me of this old post. To express this information in the format of tips for schools:

Another tip may be to describe plainly, with transparency and accountability, what a child will receive in terms of gifted programming, content, and delivery. When describing "gifted programming", do not attempt to mask any lack of an appropriate level of teaching, curriculum, or services by using buzzwords. To manage expectations, openly provide details such as Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How (the 5Ws).

Another tip may be: Don't be surprised if few gifted students are pleased with receiving differentiated task demands rather than instruction with more depth/breadth and/or at an accelerated/compacted pace, grouped with intellectual/academic peers.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In-class differentiation is a false utopian myth, in most cases. It is far more effective to group school children by ability in separate classrooms, and teach to each group's level.

That said, you may not know everyone's true ability level (e.g. entering kindergarten, if if tested). School's need to figure out how to create an environment where a child can reach their potential, even if they're not sure what their potential is.

The problem with this is that schools will group by performance not ability and often by the weakest skill. So your gifted child could still end up in the wrong class due to not writing fast enough to complete the test or not being good at creative writing or group work. I would prefer they grouped by subject and need rather than the results of one test as often happened when I was a kid.

There will never be a perfect way to assess ability, although there is room for improvement.

But it is so important to do this.

Originally Posted by Cookie
    And a book might be a perfectly fine book to read, answer questions about, analyze and enjoy for every single kid in the class. But for a gifted kid it might be an hour or two worth of work and for the rest of the class it is a huge 3 week novel study. My son considers these "novels" fine to read but more like a short story to him. (Example...Stone Fox)

YES!!!!

This; so, so much.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    And a book might be a perfectly fine book to read, answer questions about, analyze and enjoy for every single kid in the class.

Or not. Also allow for the kid who has highly developed literary taste and sensitivity, and disagrees with the teacher's opinions and choices.

Val Offline
    Oh MegMeg...when I was a kid I wouldn't read a book about an animal before turning to the last page to see if said animal had been killed off or not. If the author killed the animal, I put the book down and found something else to read.

I looked through Newberry and Caldecott winners a couple years ago, and decided that they tend to be books that adults think kids should like, rather than books that kids themselves like.

But either way, I don't get the need to kill the dog.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM