Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    D
    Both dd9 and ds7 had a great year! Some ups and downs, but they both came out happy and having had learned.

DS started at a new charter school this year. Our local public school for his kindy year was a disaster. He spent most of the year trying to sit quietly while the teacher focused on the lowest 25% of the class. That made us decide to move him into a brand new school, the new school was in its first year and had a lot of growing pains. New building, new staff, new families. It seemed that each week there was some change to school processes. We line up here, no, we line up there. Kind of crazy making BUT ds did a years worth of learning in a year. That is what we hope for! The charter school is what I call a "Hippie School." The basis of the school seems to be peace, love and understanding. The kids get time-ins, they talk about peace, about nurturing the whole child. Emotionally, this year was spot on for ds.
    The learning style at this school is project based. DS did 5 major projects this year. He did all of his learning based on the topics of Great Danes, Tornadoes, Land Slides, Jacques Cousteau, and Wolves. He was fully engaged all year. He jumped 4 grade levels in reading but only advanced one year in math. He made friends, he had run-ins with frenemies, he got into trouble for being naughty when he deserved it, he got praised for good behavior when he exhibited it. It is what we had hoped for for ds.

DD9 also had a great year. She is at the stand-alone TAG school. I did not gel with her teacher this year. I stepped on the teachers toes at the beginning of the year and we never recovered. DD started the year with a poor report card. She was failing math. The recommendation was that dd go back to grade level math and try it all again. DD did not find this to be acceptable and committed to working harder and with a tutor. We found a high school girl who was willing to tutor dd weekly. DD pulled her grades up to 90% by the end of the year and was promoted to 5th grade math. (I irritated dd's teacher by running to dd's 1/2 teacher after the first report card asking for advice. The last teacher had had dd for 2 years and knew her completely as a learner, this annoyed the current teacher. Oh well!)
    More to come.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    Both dd9 and ds7 had a great year! Some ups and downs, but they both came out happy and having had learned.

DS started at a new charter school this year. Our local public school for his kindy year was a disaster. He spent most of the year trying to sit quietly while the teacher focused on the lowest 25% of the class. That made us decide to move him into a brand new school, the new school was in its first year and had a lot of growing pains. New building, new staff, new families. It seemed that each week there was some change to school processes. We line up here, no, we line up there. Kind of crazy making BUT ds did a years worth of learning in a year. That is what we hope for! The charter school is what I call a "Hippie School." The basis of the school seems to be peace, love and understanding. The kids get time-ins, they talk about peace, about nurturing the whole child. Emotionally, this year was spot on for ds.
    The learning style at this school is project based. DS did 5 major projects this year. He did all of his learning based on the topics of Great Danes, Tornadoes, Land Slides, Jacques Cousteau, and Wolves. He was fully engaged all year. He jumped 4 grade levels in reading but only advanced one year in math. He made friends, he had run-ins with frenemies, he got into trouble for being naughty when he deserved it, he got praised for good behavior when he exhibited it. It is what we had hoped for for ds.

DD9 also had a great year. She is at the stand-alone TAG school. I did not gel with her teacher this year. I stepped on the teachers toes at the beginning of the year and we never recovered. DD started the year with a poor report card. She was failing math. The recommendation was that dd go back to grade level math and try it all again. DD did not find this to be acceptable and committed to working harder and with a tutor. We found a high school girl who was willing to tutor dd weekly. DD pulled her grades up to 90% by the end of the year and was promoted to 5th grade math. (I irritated dd's teacher by running to dd's 1/2 teacher after the first report card asking for advice. The last teacher had had dd for 2 years and knew her completely as a learner, this annoyed the current teacher. Oh well!)
    More to come.
    I suspect that the main reason behind the majority of her bad grades (minus the math) was so that the school could show improvement in her grades. See how well we are teaching? *barf*

They have been out of school for a week now and are both eager to go back in the fall. It was a good year and we are so fortunate to have so many free schooling options available to us. Nothing is perfect but I think that we are meeting the needs of both of our children very well!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM