Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    My 6 years old DS is exactly like this - he does this with his teachers at school too, not just at home! We get regular updates in report cards about "lacking independence while working". While doing school homework or afterschooling, he asks me to check his work for every single line he writes. If I did not respond, he is off playing with something or other.
    The reason my child is this way is because of several things - he was in a montessori daycare/preschool in his early years - and there was always someone who was with him interacting and helping and teaching - he even used to sit on the main teacher's lap while coloring and painting and writing. And he is extremely social and talkative and likes to have someone to chat with him while he works and feels isolated and lonely when alone at a desk. So, I stay close by and give him incentives for independent work - e.g. if he works without asking for help on 2 pages of his singapore math book and makes no mistakes, then he skips the entire chapter and moves on to the next chapter. That helps him overcome his natural impatience to seatwork as well as cuts down on the careless mistakes. I also give him a sticker on the pages he does without asking for help from me. And he will do anything to collect stickers smile

At six...workbooks tend to be boring. Why not set her up with some manipulatives AND the word problems? Or some experiments?

Question: if she's in kindergarten, why are you having her do workbooks at home? They're obviously not holding her interest and she wants to spend time with you. Why not have her help you with your work as kids that age love to model Mom and Dad? DS8 has cooked with me in the kitchen since babyhood as he just wanted to be near me.

DS8 is also a pacer and doesn't sit still for long at all but that is how he thinks best. I use that to my advantage and send him on errands all the time. Sometimes it's just silly things but it's the moving that he needs.

We are using the time4learning.com program for science and social studies now, and that keeps him engaged. He's entering third grade (public school) and following the eighth grade curriculum. Perhaps a computer program would be more engaging to her.

Other ideas:

Have her read to the younger ones.

Play school with the younger ones.

Write a story for you.

Build something.

Give her a book on dance or martial arts or yoga and see if she teaches herself.

Let her learn another language.

Send her outside with some finger paints and paper.

Give her some clay to make pots.

Basically, use her motion to advantage and let her teach herself.

P
    P
    If you want her to do workbooks at home you will have to change your expectations. She is six and has been away from you most of the day - she needs to interact with you. I understand that you are tired and busy but unfortunately she still needs attention. I only have two and I work so I can't give you any useful advice except if you are having more you need to sort it out first.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM