Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi Blackcat.
    Big concerns - she does speed through work at school. She cannot follow multistep directions to save her life (never).Trying to get her ready for school, church, etc. is a nightmare as she always forgets what you asked her to do. She is the kid who loses everything and anything.
    Not a concern - If she is interested she can hyper focus for hours. She usually can do well at school if she has a patient teacher (last 2 years she has).
    You had asked about her scores. What were your thoughts about them?
    I will need to check out "combined type ADHD". I don't know anything about that.

B
    B
    combined type is basically where a kid has characteristics of both hyperactivity/impulsivity PLUS a lack of focus or attention and they are both major issues. Whereas some kids are mostly hyper or impulsive but don't have major issues with focus, and some kids are mainly inattentive and don't have any problems with hyperactivity or impulsivity. When DD is not medicated her voice is 5 times louder than normal, and her body seems to be in constant motion (unless she's doing something that really interests her, like reading a book or playing computer games). I was late giving her her medication today and I took her to the store, and she started running down the aisles a few times like a toddler and was constantly touching and poking her brother. If your DD is not hyper and is able to focus fairly well even on things she doesn't really enjoy (like a boring math worksheet at school, for example), then she probably doesn't have ADHD. My DS seems fine at home but when I watched him at school he looked like a space cadet and the teacher said the work is piling up. So I'm not sure what it means if he seems overall Ok at home (but of course, it's not like I'm having him do a ton of work here either).

My DD is the opposite of yours in that she has slow processing speed and is slow at school but her working memory is very good. She has combined type. DS is also slow but I'm not sure about working memory. He can memorize math facts fine but DD has a major problem with them (despite her good working memory on the WISC).

It sounds like your DD has executive functioning issues, but that is not always ADHD. I am really disorganized as well, and forget what I'm doing. Just a few hours ago I headed for the car because I knew I had to get something out of the trunk, but on the way there something distracted me and I forgot about the car. This happens all day long. But I don't think I have ADHD and I doubt medication would help me at all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM