Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Is it because he will still be at school that day but not on the trip so they are wondering what to do with him? or will you be keeping home? Maybe that's their concern?

He will be at home.

Okay, well, I am quite stumped myself. Creepy indeed. How odd!

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    I still can't figure any of this out. But now I am compelled to get to the bottom of it! This school often operates in a bizarre way. So, this weird situation is not so weird for them. The principal kind of freaked DS out though. She really grilled him and he didn't understand what the issue was.

How do you usually deal with their weirdness?

Or have they risen to a whole new level of weirdness?

B
    B
    I have had schools go weird on me that my child needs to do x or y because of his socialization. Could it be something along those lines. They think he NEEDS the experience going on the bus, following directions, etc..

Another possibility for their odd behavior. Are they asking for a donation for the trip? Field trips are one of the few things schools in my area can still ask for $$ to help defray the cost. Yet, they don't want to deny any child the ability to go on the field trip. So if I child a parent didn't return the money & permission slip the school might assume it was because a parent couldn't pay and didn't want to say.

N
    N
    MK is quite right -- if you have to sign a permission slip for him to attend, then obviously it isn't a "must". That's what permission slips are about!

Our school has assignments associated with at least some field trips -- DS11 went on the 7th grade field trip to the dam when he was in 5th grade (because he was taking classes in several grades and wormed his way into all the field trips) and then this past year when he was actually IN 7th grade, he chose instead to go to his track meet that day and missed it, and he had a zero for the assignment of writing up water test results. But if the grade for a possible assignment doesn't bother you or him, I see no reason he "has" to go.

DD freaked out this past year about the 2nd grade trip to the science museum, but I knew it was just fear of the unknown and made her go anyway -- of course, as I knew she would, she liked it.

Stick to your guns, or if it's not a battle worth fighting up front, do as someone else suggested and sign the slip and then keep him home anyway. What can they do?

Val Offline
    Sign the slip and call him in sick that day.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    there's a reason why it's called a PERMISSION slip ... no permission, no field trip. "must" is not an answer. If they don't have any better answer than that, why even bother with them.
    If there is no permission slip returned, then it means that the parent does not want the child to go. They might be calling you because the only reason that they could come up with for the lack of permisssion slip is that you forgot - some people cannot understand that you might not be interested in something so wonderful as a school offered field trip smile

P
    P
    Usually if people don't return a permission slip it is because they forgot or the kid never gave it to the parent so it could just be that. If the trip is on a day he is usually at school maybe they are worried about what to do with him if they don't know you are happy to have him home. Perhaps the next month's worth of lessons are going to be based on the trip. I would approach the teacher myself and ask what is going on.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the feedback all. Oh don't worry - I have no problem sticking to my guns. I was just asking y'all because I thought someone might have some insight. It's rather weird the whole situation. We'll see how it unfolds.

22B Offline
    We look forward to updates. What a fun topic!

B
    B
    If a student here has a certain number of unexcused absences, like 10 or 14, or tardies (if a child is even one minute late they mark it as a tardy) the school calls CPS and there is a truancy case. I think once a kid hits 14 absences, they have to bring in doctor's notes. Parents have access to an online acct. and I was looking at DS's page yesterday, and they have documented every absence and the reason for it (sick, medical appt., unexcused, etc). There is even a graph showing the percentage of sick days vs. unexcused, etc.

I wonder if this could have to do with that....they are trying to make a case that there are too many unexcused absences? I don't know, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM