Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
    Val Offline
    There was an armed police officer on duty at Columbine.

IMO, this is more of the same: being seen to be doing something. If a shooter knows that a cop is on duty, the cop may be his first target.

Plus, having cops on duty increases the likelihood that young children will be arrested for minor disciplinary infractions, as has happened very frequently in recent years.

ETA: I can see that having armed police officers at school can sound like a good idea in theory. But in practice, I'm not sure it's a great idea or the best use of the police force. Plus, there must be a better way to deal with school shootings than upping the ante.

Last edited by Val; 06/17/14 04:51 PM.
    I'm just going to observe, here, that while I can't disagree with Nautigal and Irena (in fact, I agree wholeheartedly), um-- have you BEEN to the airport lately?? Just noting that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    What about the field trip ....did it happen...did the sky fall when he didn't go?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    But having the doors locked, with security cameras rolling and sign-in procedures in place, is no guarantee of security -- the shooter at Sandy Hook broke the glass and unlocked the door, and was duly recorded while doing so. All of these things are only an illusion of safety, while being a real invasion of privacy at the same time. The shooters will get in if they want to, and the child molesters are already there.

I understand that it might be an illusion, but I would also point out that it gives school personnel some feeling of control. They are scared. As a teacher, I am scared every time I hear about a school shooting. I know it's not statistically rational, but I can't help but play out scenarios in my head.

I also worry because my mother has a severe mental illness and is to have no contact with DS without DH or myself present. But she could easily pick him up at school. We've talked to school personnel, but in reality I know it could happen. And if it did happen, we'd need a record of who had been at the school (sign-in, security footage, etc.).

Many schools use security footage on a fairly regular basis. It's naive to think it's not a useful tool.

M
    M
    Hi everyone - this thread isn't really related to the purpose of this forum, so I am locking it.

Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM