Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 170 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    Mark D. Online Content OP
    OP Online Content
    M
    New book coming soon from Dr. Jim Delisle: Dumbing Down America: The War on Our Nation's Brightest Young Minds (And What We Can Do to Fight Back). Available August 1, you can pre-order it today. http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-America-Nations-Brightest/dp/1618211668

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Mark Dlugosz
    New book coming soon from Dr. Jim Delisle: Dumbing Down America: The War on Our Nation's Brightest Young Minds (And What We Can Do to Fight Back). Available August 1, you can pre-order it today. http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-America-Nations-Brightest/dp/1618211668
    I dislike titles that exaggerate. The education of the gifted in the U.S. ought to improve, but there is no "war" against them. "The Neglect of Our Nation's Brightest Young Minds" would be a better subtitle.

Thanks for announcing the book.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I dislike titles that exaggerate. The education of the gifted in the U.S. ought to improve, but there is no "war" against them.

Agree. And I am so tired of battle metaphors, especially in the field of education.

I
    I
    Oh I like this author! He gave a great talk that I linked on this board. (I agree on the "battle language" but don't let it deter you from the author - he's pretty great!)

P
    P
    Agree, too. If anything, I actually feel that the focus on education is stronger in the past few years. I think it's because of the sense of crisis that any economic downturn will bring. As to gifted education in public schools, it's also a matter of resources. When there is enough resource for everyone, it's easier to run special programs for all special people. But when resources are not enough to go around, the schools tend to keep the basics and cut the specials. As to the attitude toward giftedness, I may be wrong but my feeling is that the US society in general cares a lot about "talent" rather than "achievement", compared with many other societies. There is a lot to do to improve education for all children in our society, but as it is, the US does have a lot of educational resources for gifted kids--many options are probably unheard of in even some of the societies that really care about education.

O
    O
    The publisher probably came up with the title - wouldn't hold it against the author

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Yes, authors don't always have final say on their title, cover art, or book blurb. As a first time published non-fiction author, I had none (though they were kind enough to take suggestions from me). He probably had more input as an established author, but wise authors also know that publishers have a lot of knowledge about what sells books and makes them "jump off the shelves."

We aren't the primary audience for this kind of book anyway. We are the choir here. We already get it. The title needs to call to people who may not get it, but will be intrigued and perhaps moved to advocacy or support for gifted education by the content.

B
    B
    i feel like buying the book and sneaking it into the teacher's lounge at the school and leaving it out on the table. Even if no one reads it just the title makes a statement (although I agree "war" is probably pushing it a bit...it's more like extreme apathy, ignorance, and negative stereotypes of gifted kids and their parents).

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    We aren't the primary audience for this kind of book anyway. We are the choir here. We already get it. The title needs to call to people who may not get it, but will be intrigued and perhaps moved to advocacy or support for gifted education by the content.
    Perhaps, but I read the first Freakonomics book and refused to buy its successor, "Super Freakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance" on principle smile.

Got to go with you on this one, Bostonian; I object to over-the-top hyperbole on principle as well.

If I feel that I *must* read one of these, I tend to borrow a copy rather than purchasing one. Even if I feel strongly enough that I must obtain one, I generally will purchase it used rather than adding to the print run. {sigh}

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I dislike titles that exaggerate. The education of the gifted in the U.S. ought to improve, but there is no "war" against them. "The Neglect of Our Nation's Brightest Young Minds" would be a better subtitle.

The author/publisher are not literally asserting that there are tanks rolling down the streets. It's just a metaphor.

And yes there most definitely a war against ability tracking in the USA, even though it is essentially free.

If you have 240 students in a grade, and money for 6 teachers, so you'll have 6 classes of 40, it costs esssentially nothing to group by ability, and teach each class at the right level, which would lead to enormous improvements in educational outcomes. But this generally does not happen in America, essentially because war has been declared on the practice.

I
    I
    I'm intrigued.

Gifted forums are filled with parental descriptions of battles, and the need to fight for our children. We are witness to the problem, and it is not isolated, it is systemic.

To the gifted children being treated as an inconvenience by their teachers/schools/districts, the toll of years of fights, battles, and dumbing down, afraid to live as their authentic uber-intelligent selves may be experienced as attack. Constant and sustained attack. War. This article about tulips and poppies has been around for over a decade; the situation is prevalent.

As seen in the link provided by the OP, the back cover reads, in part: “… a critical look at the nation’s schools through the eyes of the children whose minds are languishing in countless classrooms. Filled with specific examples of how gifted children are being shortchanged by a nation that believes smart kids will succeed on their own.”

With decades of time and volumes of material dedicated to all aspects of giftedness, there is little excuse for providing these detrimental experiences rather than providing appropriately challenging academic instruction.

In reading the preview pages online, this may be a brave book long overdue.

P
    P
    The title has already been used (or near enough to be confusing).

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by puffin
    The title has already been used (or near enough to be confusing).
    Several books have similar titles. It's hard to avoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM