Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I quite like the Steiner classrooms I have seen, soft pastel walls, kids art and crafts on display. Not so keen on anything else but that is nice. They felt friendly and comfortable but not in your face.

I do agree though perhaps reading posters on the walls is more educational than counting the ceiling tiles.

I found that my early statistics education was greatly edified by determining the number of holes in an "average" 12" acoustical ceiling tile, actually.

Yeah, okay-- so taking my book away so that I'd pay attention.... probably not a terrifically successful tactic, all in all. blush

Interestingly, the library had a nice low-key decor, but I have no recollection of ceilings there.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Think about this. PBSkids cartoons are much more educational than other kids cartoons that are out there. Would they be any more educational if they were in black and white instead of color?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Think about this. PBSkids cartoons are much more educational than other kids cartoons that are out there. Would they be any more educational if they were in black and white instead of color?

Not sure that I agree with the assertion that these cartoons are "educational"... but that might just be a definitional difference. At any rate, I would presume that teachers wouldn't have cartoons playing in the background while children are trying to attend to their work.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by KathrynH
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Not sure that I agree with the assertion that these cartoons are "educational"... but that might just be a definitional difference. At any rate, I would presume that teachers wouldn't have cartoons playing in the background while children are trying to attend to their work.
    Obviously I'm not suggesting teachers play cartoons in the classroom. I was just making an analogy. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with colorfulness. It's the educational content that matters.

And PBSkids cartoons certainly contributed to our children's early reading. They definitely have educational content that most cartoons lack.

Originally Posted by 22B

PBS cartoon fare is, generally speaking, far different in terms of style and content that, say.... Cartoon Network original shows, or some on Nickelodeon.

More subdued colors, less jumpy action, etc. Compare Arthur to, say, Ren and Stimpy.

On the other hand, Katie KaBoom definitely counts as educational television for parents.

No, I don't think that cartoons are inherently useless. I've learned a lot from The Simpsons. I'm also pleased to note-- though perhaps I should feel some shame-- that the Schoolhouse Rock classic, I'm Just a Bill got me an effortless A in high school American Government class, thank you very much.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Love that Bill!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs