Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I know they should be catered to each individual child, so there will be a bit of variety, but are there any major assessments I should be sure they are including? I guess it is important to make sure the tests they use can identify any visual or auditory processing problems. And executive functioning and working memory issues.

I am speaking with two different psychology practices today. One is an educational psychologist, but offers neuropsychological assessments as part of a comprehensive evaluation. Their website mentions gifted children. The other practice has neuropsychologists and it talks about differentiating between ADHD and other processing disorders. They don't seem to have much to say about gifted children, but I will ask on the phone.

We made the decision to do a neuropsychological assessment, now the stress is trying to make sure we get a good one.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    yes I am. I probably should have posted my question at the bottom of my ADHD question thread. We are seeing some behavioural issues, and symptoms that appear ADHD-like. And I just want to get a clearer picture of exactly what is going on with DS.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Not a comprehensive list by any means:

If you're looking at ADHD-like symptoms, the focus should be on executive functions. Common instruments would include DKEFS, Conners Rating Scales, BASC-2 rating scales, CBCL/Achenbach/ASEBA rating scales, BRIEF rating scales, DREF rating scales, Conners CPT (computer-administered direct assessment), Conners CATA (computer-administered direct assessment of auditory attention). WCST is an old favorite of neuropsychs. If administered a rating scale, it is likely that it would be just one of the menu listed above, and not all of them.

Memory instruments include the WRAML-2 or CMS. CVLT (verbal learning) is also a favorite for memory and learning.

Visual processing might include subtests from the Wechslers or some other standard battery intelligence test, BOT, Beery-Buktenica/VMI, RCFT (the Rey). Assorted finger-tapping tasks and peg board tasks also pop up here, in the visual-motor area.

A neuropsychologist may be more fluent in the neuropsych-specific assessments, as they likely do more of this type of assessment--and the ones you're looking at may have additional value if they actually are good at differential diagnosis between ADHD and look-alike disorders--but an educational psychologist is likely to be more in tune with recommendations with real-world school applications. Experience with the type of student being assessed is also quite important, as clinical skills are particularly important when interpreting assessment results for a 2e client, where global and composite scales often aren't good representations of their true learning profile.

And of course, it's quite important that the assessor be someone that you feel your child will feel comfortable with.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks aeh and Portia. All that is very helpful.

E
    E
    Perhaps your school has some recommendations as a starting point? Our school makes recommendations to families based on the many children & many reports they have seen over the years.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations