Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #193836 06/08/14 10:35 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Just curious if any of you are using the classical education model. Does this work for HG kids? The memory work does not seem like it would appeal to DS but I'm interested in anyone with experiences to share or opinions on this method.

We tried it briefly-- WTM, I assume you're meaning? Or do you mean the harder-core Trivium?

It didn't work very well for DD because of her particular learning style and her asynchronous pattern.

Her writing skill set and fine-motor skills weren't up to some of the product-oriented work recommended (lapbooks, etc.) and she hated memorization. It also wasn't challenging enough to engage her well-- though experiences may vary.

We had a hard time with the level of the material in the planned "first pass" of WTM being too low-level to be engaging for DD at 4-6yo. It left us feeling like she wasn't really prepared to go to the second-level pass through (middle grades), because of her missing literacy skills, but on the other hand, her READING skills were so far beyond what the first pass required, as was her understanding of critical thinking. It just didn't fit, if that makes sense.

I don't know if I just couldn't figure out how to flex it all to MAKE it work for her, or what. I just know that trying the standard recommendations and following the WTM script sure didn't.

She needed more math earlier, and she needed higher level THINKING about what she was reading, basically.

We morphed our attempt at WTM into something more resembling a modified Charlotte Mason because that seemed to fit DD's needs and strengths better at the time. Unfortunately, we eventually abandoned that as well because she was widening the asynchronous gaps in her literacy skill set to a point that we found alarming in the extreme (at age 6, Shakespeare/Science/History/Social Studies/Brit Lit discussions were high school level and rising, and she was unwilling/unable to write even a couple of sentences without major tantrums).

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/08/14 10:55 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    No direct experience, but in general I am wary of Methods, particularly ones that are proud and self-conscious of being Methods. They are generally not evidence-based. Some parts may work for your kid, so if it gives you ideas, great. But always keep in mind that YMMV.

P
    P
    The well trained mind forums have an accelerated learners board which I'm pretty sure has quite a few HG+ kids. Misty the use a combination of methods depending on what works for the child. They might be doing age level formal writing but doing all the other stuff orally to adjust for the fact the child is far more advanced in the other areas, or algebra with an 8 year old while doing lower level history and language arts and college science. While there are books (including the well trained mind it is more about being educated as an end in itself rather than a way to get a good job. As someone who hates the statement "we are preparing our children for jobs that ..." it appeals to me. I hope my child will have a satisfying productive job but that is a byproduct not the main purpose.

D
    D
    I looked at it briefly at some point. I remember wondering what is actually "classical" about it. It looks instead like a very modern idea of what classical might include. Some of the materials appeared to have an overtly Christian bias.

P
    P
    Some of the stuff written by them has a christian bias (but honsestly not major) but the first edition sort of explained what to do with whatever resources you chose. There are many other "classical systems" but the all are modern interpretations really as the originals would probably not work in modern society. And for every system there are a range of approaches to implement it.

J
    J
    My middle school son was bored with school for years. We enrolled him in a private school since kindergarten. We would constantly ask his teachers to give him "advanced" work to keep him busy. At the end of the day, we realized he was capable of doing work 2-3 grade levels above where he is at now. What he really needed was a different approach to learning that engaged him on multiple levels and allowed his mind to stretch.

Last year, we switched him to a Classical Education private school in Central NJ (Trivium Academy of NJ). It has been a very good experience for him. The school offers Singapore Math, Mandarin and Latin. The teachers also understand how to work with gifted students.

The school has helped train my son's brain to absorb, process and analyze large amounts of data. Not only has his memorization skills increased, his reading comprehension and his analytical skills have improved dramatically. The reading and history assignments require students to think outside the box and tap into their creativity. For example, History came to life when the school held a Live Wax Museum where students portrayed notable individuals from the Renaissance period and each gave a speech about the invididual's life and key accomplishments(e.g. Michaelangelo).

He actually looks forward to school now because the Classical Education curriculum is not teaching for a test. It really helps students to build a solid foundation in multiple disciplines. The material is interesting and the children are drawn in.

My two cents is that Classical Education is a good alternative to what's being taught in the public and private schools in my area.

P
    P
    Well I don't think anyone is going to care enough to try and forcibly convert you. Really their method works just as well with purely secular materials but so do many other methods.

Funny though that was one of the nursery rhymes I was explaining to my kids recently.

Last edited by puffin; 06/08/14 06:02 PM.
    F
    F
    I used the Classical model to homeschool my very average stepdaughter up through high school and she really thrived; however, it hasn't worked at all for my very advanced 7 year old daughter. I am guessing it might work for some gifted kids, and it is more challenging than your typical public school style curriculum, but I think it would need to be heavily altered for most HG students.

The copywork and memory work were especially despised,as well as the violence that one encounters studying world history, even at the first-grade level. I think sensitive kids would probably benefit from waiting a few more years before addressing certain historical events and violent myths that seem to be standard in Classical curriculum.

I still like some elements of the method, but it's not something I would suggest for a gifted kid in general, as it feels very prescribed and repetitive, whereas novelty and interest-driven learning seems more meaningful for a gifted student.

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    Just one family's experience -- we tried a semester of classical education at a small local school/co-op. Didn't really work at the 7th grade level; a bit too structured and repetitious. Nothing new in this post but thought I'd chime in.

S
    S
    Need a classical model of education plus supplements, based on the talent of the child.

I
    I
    @samhadd, maybe this will help:

Well Trained Mind (WTM) is a homeschool website for classical education. You'll find a book outlining classical education, community forums including an accelerated board for parental discussion of children who are advanced, and a link to author Susan Wise Bauer's related website.

The Trivium method and classical education of Trivium/Quadrivium subjects may also be of interest.

D
    D
    What is now called "classical education" has nothing to do with what used to go by that name, by the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM