Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Hey, I just read that article. I don't think I could draw anykind of parallel between the parents in the article and you, Lori.

It's glaringly apples and oranges.

KWIM?

Last edited by incogneato; 07/29/08 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
    K
    K
    Wow Ania - that article is a little alarming! 2 cell phones? On the other hand, if you're spending 10K on a summer camp, I guess you've perhaps earned the right to be picky.

I actually tend to the opposite end of the spectrum. I am very hands off when I drop my kids off at a camp or class unless I see something very unusual going on. I've usually researched the heck out of it ahead of time though, so when I have made the decision to send them to something I feel pretty comfortable at that point letting go. And both my kids are pretty go with the flow with teachers and other kids. I'm not ready for sleep over camp though!

And Lori, I agree with 'Neato. I really haven't seen any behavior like that around here!

On the other hand, if you're spending 10K on a summer camp, I guess you've perhaps earned the right to be picky.

Perhaps, but spending a large sum of money doesn't entitle someone to disregard the rules they agreed to when they signed their child up.

That's annoying.
    smile

Oh we cross posted.

Kim, I'm so glad you agree with me! I love it when someone agrees with me!

It seems to happen so rarely! wink

D
    D
    Our kids didn�t have cell phones until quite recently. We consider it a necessity for logistical communications at distant schools this fall, but to their dismay they don�t get texting service.

The one week college summer swim camp they attended had no restrictions on bringing a cell phone. It was fortunate for our son who called every single night. Our daughter (who we knew was still alive per our son) never felt the need to call (us, at least).

Maybe instead of a no cell phones allowed policy, they should designate at certain time when kids are allowed to call home. I don�t feel that a kid should endure homesickness at the expense of enjoying camp. Our son needed to connect for a short period each day and then he was fine. Last year, he burned up his 90 minute phone card in 5 nights and this year he only needed approx 10 minutes before returning to free time activities. Who knows, next year he may even skip a night.

I think the lesson of camp autonomy can be more gradual than just �sink or swim�.

However, I agree that parents should know and follow the camp rules.

GS9(+1 week) went to his first sleepover camp in June. It was Sunday through Wednesday. He was a bit reluctant to go but going home he started crying because he couldn't go until next year again! He didn't say anything about anyone wanting to go home.

acs Offline
    I won't take an actual stand against cell phones, because I think there is a place for them, such as when the camp is many weeks long or when a child is young or fragile for some reason (medically, or just sustained a loss etc).

But I can tell you that it can become very hard for a child to become immersed in the full camp experience if they can call out or get a call in at any moment. A faculty friend of mine who has been leading college trips for decades says that it seems much harder for college students to separate from their friends and family these days. They call home to report every small happiness or disappointment. Small interpersonal problems that could have been solved pretty easily escalate rapidly when everyone calls home to tell friends and family their side of the story. And they miss a lot of the trip because they are thinking about home and talking to people at home and not taking advantage of where they are.

Not giving your child a cell phone at camp, I think, can send the message that you really have confidence in them, that you think they have what it takes to get by without you, and that you are able to let them grow up and be independent and even make mistakes and figure out how to fix them on their own. So DS has spent a total of 2 weeks at camp with no cell phone and has done great without one. It's been harder on me, but I am trying to grow up too!

I agree, acs. 20 years ago, cell phones were not on everyone's hip, and we all got along just fine. I'm not saying they don't have their place...I just don't think their place necessarily has to be EVERYWHERE!

wink

Kriston
    acs Offline
    Well if we both agree then it must be settled! whistle

Last edited by acs; 07/29/08 08:38 PM. Reason: added faces
    Darn tootin'!

(Or we're just Luddites...)

smile

Kriston
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard