Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Well hopefully the school will save everyone some time and money JB and schedule a meeting based on the private results, as promising as they sound!!! Keep us posted. Congratulations on all the progress, wherever it takes you!

P.S...any idea what your psych is calling "EG"?

No. So I'm doing my best to be patience smile We talked briefly while DS was playing in an adjacent room so we didn't get all of the feedback I would have liked. However, he did say he'd love to tell us where he thinks he'll be, but he's just not sure yet. He said that "at the low end I think he'll be exceptional." So we're thinking that is what he means... EG range. We'll see. Even if the SB-V doesn't measure him well, we're getting very good feedback.

JB

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    We just try to be as constructive as possible and have kept the attitude that "hey, one way or another we'll be working together over the next several." I know that a lot of people have had really negative experiences with PS but our general experience has been that they are professionals and they are not making it personal. That said (a) we just started! and (b) we are fortunate enough to be in a position to get an outside opinion. Our state does mandate identification. So in a few ways we're better off than a lot of people.

Good luck.

JB

This sounds like the right approach, and it sounds like you're making good progress, too. What does it mean when you say that the state mandates identification, by the way?

Incidentally, do you have any experience with the Center for the Gifted in Philly?

Thanks!

We're making reasonable progress I think.

In PA, a parent can (once a year) request that your child be evaluated for giftedness. If they are identified as gifted, the SD must work with you to create a gifted individual education program (GIEP). What I don't know about (yet) is how this works out in practice. PA is a weird state in a couple of respects... we have a system in place for identification but we don't necessarily have it funded. And I think results are highly dependent on which SD you're in.

JB

Originally Posted by Dottie
    I don't know that psychs really get into the MG/HG/EG/PG type designators, but "exceptional" is surely a nice place to land whatever it may mean!

Exactly. I took it with a grain of salt.

JB

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    If anyone is still following this discussion, I wanted to toss out another math-resource related question. Are there any good books that link math ideas to nature, as in pine-cone and flower petal formation, crystal formation, breeding patterns, and so on?

Thank you.

G is for Googol is a great book that does talk about ideas in nature, although it's not necessarily geared towards that. Fibonacci numbers, and other topics (one per letter).

Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar is a great kids story that shows factorials.

JB

I just picked up "The Number Devil." The first few pages hooked me but I haven't read further than that yet nor with the kids yet.

A book which covers petals and pine cones and pine apples is "Calculus by and for young people." it gets mixed reviews.

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks, JB, we've been reading G is for Googol, as a matter of fact. I like the Anno books, actually, but DS has not taken to them. At least not yet.

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you, Dazed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations