Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    kjersti Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    and i was hoping someone could help me understand the result. She is 17 and her GAI score is avaerage 112. (but she say she purposly answerd some questions wrong on the test, because she didn't want them to think she was smart or something. I know her. So i believe that to be true.)

the reason i am asking for help to understand her result is her score on comprehension, Verbal Understanding. Her score is 19. Vocabulary is 10 and interest is 11.

First of all. what does that mean, to have a score of 19 on that spesific area? And what does it mean when the result on all other areas are within the "normal" range, and this one area is so far off the scale?

Does that happen often?

Thankful for any insight you might bring me on this topic

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The three core subtests of the verbal comprehension index are normally similarities, vocabulary, and information. Comprehension is a supplementary subtest, usually administered if something seems inconsistent about the other results. I'm not clear on which subtests your daughter was actually administered. The scaled scores for subtests range from 1 to 19, so 19 is the top score, at the 99.9th %ile. Scaled scores of 10 and 11 are average, at the 50th and 63rd %ile, respectively (not statistically different from average). Assuming that the subtests you report as 10 and 11 are vocabulary and information, one of the differences between them and the other two verbal comprehension subtests is that they are more factual in nature, and thus more reflective of instruction and exposure, where similarities and comprehension, while, of course, affected by educational experience, have a closer connection to native verbal thinking ability.

But since you say that your daughter was deliberately answering incorrectly, the difference between the subtest scores is not all that relevant. She could not, however, "fake" the high score, so it suggests that that is a valid measure of her ability in that skill. Perhaps you can clarify which subtest that actually was. Also, it is much harder to fake incorrect responses on the perceptual reasoning portion of the test, which you did not report, as the tasks are less school-like. From the GAI you give, it looks like she scored in the High Average range on that index, which would suggest a genuinely diverse profile.

BTW, is there some reason that she would feel it is necessary to downplay her abilities on this kind of testing? I usually explain to students that everyone does differently on this test, because everyone learns best a different way. The objective of giving the test is primarily for their own benefit. 1) To help her understand herself as a learner. 2) To help teachers understand the best way to instruct her, that is suited to her learning style. 3) Legally mandated reasons that depend on the reason for referral (triennial re-evaluation for students on IEPs, teacher referrals because of educational concerns, parent referrals because of educational or other concerns). With this age of student, in particular, I am very upfront about the purpose and value of testing on an individual and institutional level, and we often have quite a lengthy discussion about this prior to beginning formal testing. And I conclude by explaining that their only responsibility is to do the best they can, so that we get an accurate picture of them and their learning style. If they choose to do otherwise, they will lose a lot of the value of the time that we have invested together in the exercise. I would like to know, in your daughter's case, why she feels she needs to conceal some of her ability from other people, even in a confidential, one-to-one setting with a professional. And, unfortunately, she cannot now be re-tested with the WAIS-IV for another two years, and still have what is considered a valid result, even though this one is probably not valid, either.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years