Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Irena #191508 05/16/14 05:31 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks so so so much Polarbear! That is exactly how I am going to handle it. Unfortunately, so far, the DRA levels are pretty meaningful at DS's school at least at this point. Otherwise, DS wouldn't be as bothered (and nor would I). They use the levels to group the kids reading groups. They also use the levels to determine what books they are permitted to read and what the corresponding 100 book challenge level is. Past posts of mine show this is a MAJOR issue as they are real sticklers about making the kids only read books on "their just right level." I am mostly concerned about the instructional.

Last edited by Irena; 05/16/14 05:34 PM.
    Irena #191511 05/16/14 05:41 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The principal emailed me and said someone would get back to me with dates for the meeting ...but no one has yet. I haven't responded to that email yet because I wanted to hash it out here first. I didn't want to do anything in haste. But now I will respond and specifically request that they re-test him before the conference.

Last edited by Irena; 05/16/14 05:43 PM.
    Irena #191513 05/16/14 06:02 PM
    B
    B
    DD's third grade teacher made the entire class read Boxcar Children books for the first 6+ weeks of school. DD read the first one in a couple days, so she went onto book #2, then #3, then 4, etc. Meanwhile other kids were still on #1. Would it really have been hard for the teacher to tell her "Ok, choose whatever you want now" after Boxcar #1? Talk about a wasted 6 weeks! The teacher knew that some kids were beyond that level, and that it was TOO HARD for other kids (there are at least two kids in her class who still can't read at all), but still, everyone had to read (or try to read) Boxcar Children books. I can see this for the first few days if she was in the process of assessing people, but 6+ weeks?

Hopefully your meeting goes well, let us know.

Irena #191817 05/20/14 11:25 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Update: So I never actually responded the principal's last email saying they would get back to me with dates for a conference. We were hit with a crisis here (really times consuming, stressful distraction that still has not ended) and I just dropped the ball. Anyway, I was about to email on Monday and then DS came home and said he was pulled out by the 4th grade reading teacher and given an hour's worth of reading tests. He said one seemed like the DRA and some were not. I goggled the book that he thought was DRA and it is the next level up. Not sure what they are up to but they did this last time before moving him up. So I guess this is good. I just want him at the right level starting next year... I have learned my lesson that when DS is not at the right level of challenge there is hell to pay.

Irena #191823 05/20/14 12:29 PM
    M
    M
    well that sounds like a positive step in the right direction Irena
    ... perhaps his teacher is not "qualified"/ "allowed to" do the higher level testing and so she was just going with what she had at her disposal? (just a summation on my part)

either way - that sounds promising for your little guy

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    perhaps his teacher is not "qualified"/ "allowed to" do the higher level testing and so she was just going with what she had at her disposal? (just a summation on my part)

I suspect this may be the case. Interesting, though, that if I don't say something they'll just stop and leave him at the same level.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM