Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #19208 07/07/08 12:48 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and say hello....perhaps find others with common issues. We are new to the Davidson Institute, with our 8 year old daughter. Her little sister (now 6) is also profoundly gifted, but we are holding off another year (maybe) to apply for her. At any rate, the girls are twice exceptional because they are profoundly gifted AND homebound due to an immune disease that makes it dangerous for them to go to school. Because they are gifted and medically homebound, we were abandoned by the school district and I am the children's teacher. It is an EXTREME challenge for me due to the assynchrony posed by the age appropriate development and behavior paired with their high cognitive ability. There are many times I want to crawl into a corner....because I wish I were just "mom". I realize that we are a rarity, but would love the possibility of meeting others with similar circumstances. We are ALWAYS looking for creative ways to take the children's education outside the walls of our home without leaving our home....via video conferencing or whatever?

Terri

Hi Terri,

That is a rough situation. I'm sure you are doing a great job educating them, I'm sure it is challenging!
    We use a lot of online programs, but none are interactive with other learners. I've heard Stanford's EPGY has some video conference learning, but I haven't pursued any of those programs.
    I'm pretty sure some others here have, perhaps they have more info. Also, you could contact EPGY and ask about it.
    Welcome.

Welcome Terri!
    No advice, but be sure that your younger DD's test scores don't expire before you get around to applying.

Can you have folks in to mentor/tutor them?
    Have you tried Cogito?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    We actually decided to retest the younger daughter. Her initial stanford binet scores were 156 in one area (quantitative reasoning) and in the 130s in other areas. She was only 4 at the time she was tested and could not take the weschler because of a lack of exposure. They felt that she would be able to demonstrate her ability better once she had been exposed to curriculum material and suggested re-testing when she was closer to 7.

As far as tutor....oh my I would love to have tutors....but it is not financially possible due to medical expenses at the current time. You mentioned Cognito? I have not heard of that. Tell me more please?

Right now, we are trying to build a classroom for the children in our home. Our local fire department actually called the girls las year and told them that they were going to build them a classroom, then we never heard from them again. Right now, our kitchen counter is our place to eat(in the absense of a dining room), our place to set up all of the children's transfusions and medications AND our schoolroom. They desperately need a dedicated school room that is simply for school and learning....that is a fun environment, that we shut ourselves into during school hours. We are up for extreme makeover home edition and are a finalist....oh are we ever saying our prayers. Due to a casting problem last year, we were passed over....but they have been checking up on us and following us with cameras on our charitable work....I PRAY that part of this (if we get it)will be a schoolroom and a way to fund tutors.

Terri

Here's the link for Cogito: http://www.cogito.org/default.aspx

I hope your family is chosen for extreme makeover. That would be so exciting!

Welcome! I"ll keep all fingers crossed for Extreme Makeover!

Prayers your way........if anyone is deserving it sure sounds like your family is.
    Too bad we can't vote online for your family to be chosen for extreme makeover.

A
    A
    I have you in my thoughts as I am sure many do. And, for various reasons, I relate...
    You are right there and deserving of any help that we cangive>

L
    L
    My 10 year old son and I have to be home more than most of the homeschoolers we know because we help take care of my severely disabled mother, who lives next door. We were told by the principal and teachers that we needed to homeschool. My son was very asynchronous since he was highly gifted, but he also had motor dyspraxia, so he did not fit in with other kids his age physically or mentally. He learned differently and needed to be allowed to learn differently and if I didn't homeschool, he would not get what he needed. I remember thinking that I wish I could just be mom without having to be responsible for education and occupational therapy and then having to take the blame for things that my son could not do, mostly physical things in our case. My husband says he has he is happy with how my son is doing academically, but he has made comments in the past like his sensory issues must have come from my side of the family or that I sometimes baby him because I feel sorry for him sometimes. I do hate making him do things (mostly physical things) he doesn't want to do. It just feels like an overwhelming responsibility sometimes and there are days when my anxiety level is extremely high and I just don't have the energy to fight him to make him do the things he needs to do. It seems like my whole life now is homeschooling and worrying about my mother and worrying that I will end up like my mother. It is harder to homeschool with anxiety over medical issues. Sometimes my son says he thinks we must be unschooling because I don't have him do much, but he learns so much on his own with just a computer and books, more than he would in our public school. I realize our situation in no way compares to yours, but I too have felt that feeling of just wanting to crawl in a corner, and I just have to do the best I can with what I have.

Hi Terri-

I have a YS girl who is eight. Maybe our kids could become email pals. "Artemis" writes sporadically to a couple other YS, and she really enjoys it. She likes the YS book club too.

A suggestion for school that is not too expensive and is interactive- try Lukeion for history. There's an old thread about it on this board, under resources. Artemis took a 4 week class last summer and will probably be taking another this fall.

Good luck with the home makeover. Maybe the fire dept heard that you were in the running and decided to wait and see? My family loves that show- it's about the only thing I will actually sit and watch.

Send me a private message if you want to try the email thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM