Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #191697 05/19/14 12:18 PM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    As my DS6 becomes more interested in researching online, I'm wondering how other parents deal with this. He's pretty independent with typing, etc., but I worry about what might pop. Do you use filters? Any programs? Thanks!

M
    M
    We started with the firefox addon "Kidzui". But we dropped it once the older two were both getting frustrated that it didn't allow access to educational websites for older kids because they were not on the "acceptable" list. I am sure that it would have been updated somewhat by now, and may be worth your checking it out.

We don't use anything on their laptops now, and they have been instructed to close browser windows immediately or call us if anything funny pops up at all, including anything that looks nothing like their intended search or anything that makes them go "huh???".

It seems to be working. They also each have a small A6 notebook next to their laptops so that they can come ask us to confirm spelling when they are searching. It helps to eliminate some dodgy search results.

The obvious is also to set your browser security settings to their strongest, keep all PC's in rooms where everyone can see them and explain the rules about chatting online. My kids are not allowed to install new games without one of us checking them out first, and if there is live chat we disable it unless it's something like LAN games or co-operative games with people they know.

Aiden is starting to ask why and we have had long chats about what is safe or not safe to divulge online to anyone: eg. no sharing of full name, address, telephone numbers, age, info on his brothers, no sharing of pictures via internet programs or sites (only e-mails - which is fine cause I am copied on any and all mails he sends and receives).

Ummm I can;t think of anything else off the top of my head.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    We have Microsoft Family Safety turned on on the computer DS uses, which is really just because it was as easy to do as not on the new computer, but mostly rely on DS's sense, as Madoosa says. Combine with making sure he understands I'm his sysadmin and you don't keep secrets from the sysadmins :-) It's not actually that easy to find inappropriate things by accident, unless you have very strict ideas of what's inappropriate.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    H
    H
    I have been considering Net Nanny. I disagree about the ease of finding inappropriate content. A misspelled website name can bring you to something that is supposed to be 18+.

I know our school had some issues with that type of thing and they changed their filter.

Last edited by howdy; 05/19/14 06:49 PM.
    B
    B
    As a parent of a teenager I am fairly lax and don't supervise too carefully. He does have "safe search" on, but otherwise no other filters. My son is only allowed to use his computer is a public room in the house. We have talks about what is appropriate online behavior. Some of this is trust. And yes he has his own computer, and taking it away is our main punishment.

I am mostly worried about online chatting. And that the male centric computer game sites he frequents are populated by anti-social young male adults who model inappropriate ways to talk with and about women.

When he was younger (6 & 7) most of his computer time was spend on games on CD and not online on a computer. When he did go online for research I would supervise. Times have changed and all the games and fun stuff are now online.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/19/14 08:56 PM.
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you all. Our computer is in an easy-to-view place and, to this point, I've been right there with him. He uses educational programs, blogs on kidblog, and more recently likes to dive down research rabbit holes. The latter is my concern as I do feel it's easy to have something inappropriate pop up just with misspelling.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by KTPie
    Thank you all. Our computer is in an easy-to-view place and, to this point, I've been right there with him. He uses educational programs, blogs on kidblog, and more recently likes to dive down research rabbit holes. The latter is my concern as I do feel it's easy to have something inappropriate pop up just with misspelling.

AWESOME resource!! thanks for the link laugh

M
    M
    sorry to answer your concern as well - this is why my boys have a notepad so that they can ask us spelling. I will often take the books randomly and write some key phrases down that have recently popped up in conversations and shows they see etc.

K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    That's a great idea, Madoosa. I think I'm going to steal it smile

Kidblog is fantastic. My son is obsessed.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by KTPie
    That's a great idea, Madoosa. I think I'm going to steal it smile

Kidblog is fantastic. My son is obsessed.

happy to share - happy to steal your idea too smile (kidblog)

lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM