Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #190955 05/12/14 05:38 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I sent the AIG teacher some questions. I have listed them plus the response from the teacher. Does it seem that my child will really get much from these classes? See below for my questions and her answers:

1) When children are in AIG classes with you, are they actually doing core Math and core Language arts?

AIG teacher: I only see the students for 60/week in ELA and Math. I do not work on their core subject, but I do go deeper into the content to extend and enrich what they are currently learning.

2)If so, is this the work that they are graded on?
    AIG teacher: Students receive a semester report from AIG.

3) If not, what do they do in your classes?
    AIG: Again, this year we have worked on extension projects.

2) Do you work with the teacher to determine what work the child does in his/her class?
    AIG: I work with the teachers to differentiate for the students, but not specifically what work a child does in the classroom.

greenlotus #190967 05/12/14 08:50 PM
    22B Offline
    It sounds like a complete waste of time.

greenlotus #190987 05/13/14 05:14 AM
    A
    A
    Is it a pull out class? Extensions on the work can be valuable as long as the work itself is appropriate. If the actual work is not at an appropriate level, then a small amount of extension work won't help much.

It sounds as though your child will be expected to do the extensions as well as all of the regular class work. If it's a pull out, they aren't supposed to have to make up the work they miss (this is best practices and in some state standards, but teachers don't always know that). The work in the pull out program should be a substitute, not just an extension.

The extensions may be great, but it doesn't sound like a strong program unless the differentiation mentioned in question 4 is really strong. It doesn't give you any idea of what the differentiation is, though.

apm221 #191017 05/13/14 08:51 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    It's a pull out class. My older daughter has AIG for math. I never know what they are really doing as I don't see the work nor do they get graded on the work (as I just discovered). This is quite distressing to me. I have a HG kid moving into AIG next year, and I am realizing that it won't do much at all for her.

greenlotus #191020 05/13/14 09:05 AM
    H
    H
    I think the answers are too limited to know what your child will get out of the pull-out. Some specific examples would be so much more helpful.

I don't necessarily think kids should be graded for a pull-out. Feedback on what they are doing well and what they could do to improve is another thing.

It might be that this class is the lesser of two evils, depending on the regular classroom. Or maybe it really would be appropriate.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs