Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    There are books full of stuff to make from Lego's.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ideas-Book-Daniel-Lipkowitz/dp/0756686067

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Play-Book-Ideas-Bricks/dp/1465414126

Klutz has a book

http://www.klutz.com/book/Lego-Crazy-Action-Contraptions

I might look for books of idea/projects. I found that science "kits" one can find are usually very simple, and what one is paying for is just the instructions and the convince of having all the parts already at hand. On the other hand books of idea's, that have different projects to make out of household stuff.

Your son might really like Maker Fair. http://makerfaire.com/ My son isn't that interested but I know a number of elementary boys who really LOVE it. They have a magazine. http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol38#pg1

K
    K
    Does he like to draw? Maybe a stack of graph paper and some pencils could keep him occupied (or at least give you a break) for a few minutes?

Is origami too open ended (or not kit-like enough)?

I'll second Snap Circuits; they do come with instruction booklets, and shouldn't require reading to put the circuits together.

W
    W
    We have been there. I tried (but did not succeed) to have the student included in advanced classes (regular, school year or summertime). We have found that, in general, it might just not be feasible for these children to be accommodated to match their level. We are still working on this ourselves.

If your child can get help now from your school district, could you somehow work these special projects into an individualized educational plan?

It seems those types of projects happen at the middle school level. In elementary school, one project might go over an entire year working slowly as a whole group. If your child is social, it will be mainly a social experience.

The pace can be mind-numbing. Maybe another family has been more successful.

You are doing all of the right things, but, yes, there is no time to do all of the other things that have to get done to keep the family / household-as-a-whole running. So, we just explained to everyone that our child loved special projects and that we were being commandeered to work for this child. The good news is you will likely always have a job position at your child's future mega-corporation. I find humor helps me the most. Don't expect anyone in your near vicinity to really understand.

If you have any DIY projects on your family list, engage your child to be the designer, architect, mathematician, etc. It is not too soon, these kids are ready to GO, GO, GO!

K
    K
    Snap circuits are fantastic! They have tons of projects per kit and, yes, there are instructions.

M
    M
    My first thought was Snap circuits! And after that the Snap Circuit Brand ELENCO have a HUGE range of kits. Including the models of Da Vinci's inventions. You can buy directly from their website. (Unless you are in South Africa - then please buy from me... lol)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    OP Offline
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

(He's in school now, this is not for the school, this is for us at home. He is not challenged academically at school, but he _is_ challenged.)

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Okay-- let me see if I can find the thing that we got for DD at about this age--

WEDGITS. Well, that's what they are called now.

These work like, well-- like three-dimensional tangrams, that's about the best description I can think of.

http://www.amazon.com/ImagAbility-3..._t_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1E2RC019X3MGFBEKVXDN

http://www.amazon.com/WEDGiTS-Delux...sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HX7K7VJNZZAT73XWK14

I like the fact that they store kind of like modern art, rather than like a "toy" of some sort-- in fact, we still have DD's set sitting on an end table in the living room. They are sort of irresistable.

The cards that show assembly remind me very much of IKEA instructions, actually. LOL!

The other thing I was going to suggest...

A marble run set. Yup-yup-yup. DD played endlessly with one of those, trying all kinds of different things even though her dexterity was (as you noted) often not sufficient to play with more demanding things, she could still tinker with physics and classical mechanics concepts using the modular components that come in those sets.

We eventually had a magnetic version that lived on our dishwasher for many years, and it too is still in the house-- on her steel desk.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    A marble run set. Yup-yup-yup. DD played endlessly with one of those, trying all kinds of different things...

We bought the Quadrilla Twist set recently and DS is loving it.

What about searching YouTube for construction project videos, choosing a DIY project, sourcing materials, and following through. He might like woodworking, in particular, and there are lots of maker shops around that supply the tools. Wood is such a versatile material, and I remember the pride I felt as a child building real things to use, like a desk and a stool for at the counter. Heck, as an adult, I'm proud of some custom furniture DH and I designed and built together when we were first married.

He could also buy an old junker bicycle and fix it up.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Portia
    We let DS disassemble anything that breaks in the house - TV (old version), microwave, radio, etc.

Danger, Will Robinson! In our house, that rule would result in surreptitious intentional breakage.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM