Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Ah! Outsmarting the teacher, I see! :p

Kriston
    It was easy to convince her because that was what she wanted to believe, LOL.

Oddly, it didn't work when he tried it at home..."Mom, I can't clean up the legos, it's TOOO HAAAARD!" Hee, hee smile

Originally Posted by fitzi
    We had some interaction with the principal this year and made a couple of missteps (on both sides, I would say). I am researching district policy, but trying to do so in a way that will not give the appearance of going around her. If it comes to a confrontation, of course, even if we win, we lose, as the atmosphere will be spoiled.

We had a similar experience if it helps. We have three people we're dealing with: the director of special education (GT program), the K-school principal and the elementary principal. Not every meeting went smoothly as in general they do not want to accelerate or do early admissions (since that is technically what we are asking for if we ask to skip K).

We just try to be as constructive as possible and have kept the attitude that "hey, one way or another we'll be working together over the next several." I know that a lot of people have had really negative experiences with PS but our general experience has been that they are professionals and they are not making it personal. That said (a) we just started! and (b) we are fortunate enough to be in a position to get an outside opinion. Our state does mandate identification. So in a few ways we're better off than a lot of people.

Good luck.

JB

Dottie, good memory!

We're seeing someone privately for a SB-V. The school will be doing a WPPSI, and we're "in the queue". Could take as long as as Oct/Nov before that happens.

Basically we really like our psychologist and he's not rushing DS. We did about 1 1/2 hours of the SB-V and have another 1 1/2 hours scheduled this up coming week. However, as the psychologist pointed out (and showed us) DS isn't going to test really, really well on the SB-V but he suspects DS will be in the EG range. Visual testing just doesn't measure his abilities. That's fine, as the dr wants to do some other tests (achievement tests) to see where DS is. The dr has done a lot to dissuade any lingering GT-denial I had smile and he knows what our objectives are (understanding where DS is on the spectrum, understanding what we need to think about for DS's education, and if DS is in the DYS ballpark, having appropriate documentation). We've come a long way in the last month!

We are starting to lean towards the k-school + G/T pull out + some at home schooling. We started 15 min/day this weekend. Mixed results, but that's mostly because DS decided to be "a pill" this weekend. After misbehaving nearly all of today, 10 minutes before bath time he announces "I want to do home schooling!" Kids. Whaddaya going to do with 'em wink

JB

LOL I'd call EG on the SB-V, really, really well! And probably really, really, really, really well! Ha Ha Ha.

Q
    Q
    Hey, has anyone heard of "HeyMath!"? www.heymath.com Looks like fun. And they have a new story math, but I only saw one story. Free trial. Just the antidote to several months of EPGY. DS(still)7 and EPGY Math don't fit. EPGY was "too colorless, too boring, too dry" for him.

Originally Posted by questions
    Hey, has anyone heard of "HeyMath!"? www.heymath.com Looks like fun. And they have a new story math, but I only saw one story. Free trial. Just the antidote to several months of EPGY. DS(still)7 and EPGY Math don't fit. EPGY was "too colorless, too boring, too dry" for him.

It does look like a lot of fun! I will have DS5 have a look at it tomorrow. I wasn't able to figure out what you buy for $99. Is it a full unlimited access to their web page? Is it for a year or less? Or will they send you a CD-ROM with the program?

LMom
    Q
    Q
    From what I could tell, I think it's for full access for one year. The Story Math appears new, and so far there is only 1 story. But DS loved it. We're trying the 14 day free trial. And I think it's all web access. The nice thing is that you can access any grade any topic.

Have you thought about which one you would do? There is US version and Singapore version and a few others. I guess the Singapore version would make the most sense to us if we use Singapore Math. I haven't checked the contents yet. Either way I will have DS5 have look at it and see what he thinks. Keep me posted.

LMom
    Q
    Q
    LMom, I can't even figure that out on Singapore Math, LOL! There is a US version and a Singapore version and some other version, as I recall, on Singapore Math. I spent forever comparing them and think I ended up with the US version because it covers something sooner than the Singapore version - maybe probability? It didn't even occur to me to check out the Singapore version of HeyMath - but we're trying the US version. I doubt it really matters, as it looks like little lectures and practice, and doesn't appear to be tied to specific lessons so much as specific topics. Also, from what I read the founders were in India with no ties to Singapore Math. I read was that HeyMath! was developed with the intention of fostering creativity in Asian taught math, as the rote side of things was so highly emphasized (and the American system is thought to emphasize the opposite). In any event, check out the multiplication practice on the computer (I found it in Grade 3 math). It's amusing trying to write on the computer with a pencil controlled by the mouse. DS hasn't tried it, but he was amused by how horribly I wrote. Just wait until he tries it!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM